PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

After 1 mo...the good stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:09 PM

3. Gear shift stuck/cannot move out of park....considered the broken wire underneath it, considered brake lights, considered solenoid in the gear selector, considered ignition switch, considered solenoid in steering column.....The fix: adjusting the placement of the handle. When you loosen the screw on the shifter handle, you can move the handle up or down. Out of frustration and trying to pull the handle off...wasn't able to remove it....I began to lift and lower the handle and press the button simultaneously. One of those times the button pressed in and I realize the height of the handle itself affected the button. So I messed with it lots and found the sweet spot. I have tried the "fix" several times over the course of several days and the gear shifter actually shifts better than when I got the vehicle 1 month ago. I'm still keeping the allen wrench and screw driver in the h2 just in case I have to attempt the fix in the future.

Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM

11. Pulled the front wheels off to check brake pads and rotors...pads look new, removed and compared to the ceramic set I bought and the wear between the two is minimal. Keeping the ones on the H2 and returning the others.

12. Checked the rear brakes, same situation as the front.

13. Found some kind of small leak/seeping from transfer case and front differential. Haven't identified the source yet...not a big deal...no pooling on floor/ground.

14. Engine air filter looks good...surprisingly...considering cold air intake mod or, better quality air filter. Have done some research, but not sure.

15. Engine oil cooler fitting on driver's side is leaking. The fitting at the top of the radiator. Apparently these fittings have an O-ring on the inside...will purchase and replace.

16. Hood latch doesn't latch...haven't taken the time to figure this out

17. Front-end pops like many H2 owners have experienced, will deal with this later

18. Brake pedal travel is veeeery long in comparison to other vehicles I have driven. Brake fluid not low....although, a flush and new oil would probably do wonders.

19. Bezels around DRLs are in terrible condition as are the lenses...hazy, faded, dull, etc

20. One of the PIAA glass lenses is completely missing, two others are cracked

Old 10-21-2016, 12:54 PM

Despite the issues, it is fun to drive and son loves it! Ride is very good/compliant. I spend most of time driving between 30 and 45 mph. Drives great!

I will update this thread as I tinker with other items.

Cheers!

Old 10-24-2016, 10:22 PM

So, the gear shifter got stuck today. Manual override by pressing the mushroomed metal round thing didn't work either. Praise the Lord if worked after jiggling it quite a bit and I was able to pick up and my son and get home.

Once I got home, I took the handle off...had to yank like no other. Didn't matter which gear it was in. I had already removed the small screw holding the handle to the shifter shaft. Once off, I removed the cupholder. Pressed the manual override then the yellow colored shifter shaft and viola! I was able to shift the transmission while the H2 was completely turned off and the key removed. Why would the shaft depress with my hand and not the handle? Well, inside of the shift handle is a plastic shaft/link/connector that extends from the button toward the shfiter shaft. This connector is broken and and doesn't always align properly. So, when I press the button to shift gears, the internal shaft pushed by the button that presses the yellow shifter shaft down, doesn't work. I supposed it is not long enough since the piece is broken and doesn't align 100%. So, instead of going crazy and replacing all the electronic gizmos associated with this problem, I bought an aftermarket gear shifter off of eBay.

Hollow Out Automatic Gear Shift **** Car Truck Button Shifter Lever Stick Cover | eBay

Hopefully the part works and keeps me from buying an OEM one off of amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Hummer-Billet...er+shift+lever

Old 10-24-2016, 10:25 PM

Regarding the hood latch....problem solved...inspected the latch....the latch was just fine. However, I didn't realize I needed to push down/partially slam the hood down on the latch. Even after realizing this, I discovered my hood was not aligned properly. Decided to inspect the bolts on the mounting brackets...driver side was pushed up too high, passenger side was too low. This prevented the hood from latching easily w/o a hitch. Once aligned, the hood latched just fine. I didn't think there would be much room for adjustment on the bolts located on the mounting brackets....I was very wrong! Lots of room to play

Old 10-24-2016, 10:27 PM

Oh, btw, I discovered there are 2 bulbs near the transmission gear selector. When I removed the cupholders, I found them. Changed them out to LEDs...Now the gear indicator next to the shifter shows up as blue...Nice touch and matches the rest of my LEDs.

Now, I just need to change out the instrument cluster, the A/C knows, steering wheel controls and whatever else may show up.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:28 PM

One other thing, bought a transmission cooler a few minutes ago. Will post info about my install once it arrives.

Old 10-24-2016, 10:32 PM

Changed out the engine oil cooler line fittings Saturday both the top and bottom, on the driver's side. Had to use a 1" socket to remove. Part no: 800-922, dorman brand. O'Reilly's hooked me up since AutoZone didn't have any.

Dorman OE Solutions 800-622 - Connector | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Topped off coolant with Dexcool 50/50

Old 10-24-2016, 10:36 PM

Can anyone confirm....regarding the trans cooler install....do people generally leave the OEM cooler in place? Or, is that cut out and replaced with the aftermarket? Dumb question perhaps but the pics I have seen don't provide a definitive answer. Based upon the lines, if I leave the OEM trans cooler in place I will end up with 2 separate tranny coolers and will have bypassed the radiator to avoid "trans death by the mix."

I see where I will use the bottom and the top trans cooler lines as my inlet, outlet lines to the trans cooler, but it seems I leave the OEM untouched. I plan on using Dexron VI to top off...that's what I used after I replaced the rear main seal...dropped trans and spilled plenty of fluid.

Old 10-25-2016, 08:16 AM

I don't think the Ebay shift handle will work. You might have to spring for the Amazon handle.

Quick Reply: After 1 mo...the good stuff