Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Advice on backup camera location

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 07:21 PM
Default Advice on backup camera location

I was wondering if there is a better location for installing the backup camera other than the center of the rear bumper under the spare tire.

My backup camera is ready to be replaced as the image is very bright and blurry and I personally don't like very much the image with the spare tire blocking the top... Someone told me that there is a custom camera available on the market and it comes built into the center top marker light. I have not found it anywhere...

Any ideas or suggestions on where to place the new camera?

Thanks!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 PM

There is one which replaces the center marker light. I personally don't care for that one as having a light removed would kill my OCD. I put one in my hitch cover with a small screen ran to the front. I actually bought a much bigger camera I am going to be mounting in the center of the hatch at the very top looking down. I just haven't gotten around to it. You can save a ton of money from buying a generic setup and doing some wiring yourself.

Old 10-16-2018, 09:06 PM

Exactly! I was planning to do it myself. Are you getting one of those cameras that can tilt? I’d be curious to know if the spare tire isn’t much of an obstruction to the 170 deg view of the camera...

Old 10-16-2018, 09:13 PM

I’ve found this in a related post from 2008... this is probably what you said you wouldn’t do but, it doesn’t look too bad...

https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/g...ocation-10482/

Old 10-17-2018, 11:00 AM

This is close to the setup I have:

Amazon Amazon

I have a different screen which is in the left corner of the dash. The camera is wired into the reverse light so it comes on when shifting into reverse. As I mentioned, the camera I have now is junk which is why I bought the camera in the link above. Much bigger with IR LEDs and a wider angle of view. I also removed my tire carrier when I lined my bumpers because I was sick of it blocking so much view and having to open it every time I needed to get in the back.

Old 10-19-2018, 11:17 AM

I 3d printed a plastic piece and fixed the camera to it, then I mounted the whole thing on the bottom of the center marker light.
I had to mount it that way, so I could back up to the trailer without guidance.

Old 10-19-2018, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by MiBo
I 3d printed a plastic piece and fixed the camera to it, then I mounted the whole thing on the bottom of the center marker light.
I had to mount it that way, so I could back up to the trailer without guidance.
Sounds great! A good excuse to use my printer for something useful!

Do do you have any pics?

Thabks!