PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Ac woes (wtf!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Default Ac woes (wtf!!!)

Ok, so if there is one thing on my truck that pisses me off beyond belief is this damn AC system. I have been battling this thing since I bought it.

Here is the latest.
Ok, so I buy a new AC compressor and condenser and have them installed. Ok it works for a week and then its blowing hot air again.... turns out a bad seal. So They put a new seal in and put the charge the unit... ahhhh 45 degrees again..... two weeks later its on the crapper. Ok, so now they want to replace the condenser and the connecting pipe (they say the seal is good but they think it is all out of round). I asked them if that was it and they said well they didnt check the whole system. I was shocked. I told them to check for any leaks or problems. Suddenly this seems new to them. Ugh. Ok so the system supposedly is fine. Ahhhh nice 45 degree ac AGAIN!!!

Today I was sitting in front of the kwik-e mart and all of a sudden I could feel it suddenly change temp. I look at my vent thermometer and it shows 60 and it is climbing. My AC without sound or warning or anything is now in the crapper AGAIN!!! I cant tell if the AC is engaging (cant hear the clutch, and it was so noisy driving and so damn hot and humid). Everything is working, just no cold air. And like I said it just suddenly stopped.
Is there anything I can check or hot wire to see what is going on with this system prior to me bringing it in tomorrow morning.
Your help is appreciated

Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 PM

Did they put in a new dryer?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:29 AM

condenser = dryer
yes

Old 05-28-2015, 08:06 AM

Sounds like you need to find a competent ac shop. Sounds like hacks to me.

condenser does not equal dryer

Condenser sits if front of the radiator, the dryer is inside the accumulator.

Old 05-28-2015, 11:52 AM

Ok, thanks for the correction. I meant the part were are referring to, just gave it a different name

Old 06-16-2015, 12:56 AM

mine is starting to exhibit this behavior now. the air is not blowing as cold as it used to and when im sitting at at a stop the air temps heat up significantly, quickly then as i start to drive it slowly cools back down a bit. rinse and repeat.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:58 AM

I'm guessing when they charged it they used a refrigerant with dye (shows under black light), all the places I've used do anyway. Pick up a $5-$10 blacklight flashlight and check for leaks yourself, or just take it to another shop. It really sounds like you have a leak and this place is just guessing (maybe they don't use a dye?). I had similar symptoms in a Jeep years ago, but it was leaking at the evaporator - huge hassle and/or expense to replace, so I just recharged it myself when needed. Sometimes it would go a week before needing another charge and sometimes 2+ months.