Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

Speedometer needle

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2022, 07:18 PM
Default Speedometer needle

I have a 2005 Hummer H2 and the speedometer needle is starting a 45 instead of 0 (zero) this seemed to happen after I drove through a car wash. Could the contacts or wiring of the vss have gotten wet? how does that get repaired? All the other gauges work fine.

Old 01-13-2022, 07:49 PM
Old 01-14-2022, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by hdsoftai02
I have a 2005 Hummer H2 and the speedometer needle is starting a 45 instead of 0 (zero) this seemed to happen after I drove through a car wash. Could the contacts or wiring of the vss have gotten wet? how does that get repaired? All the other gauges work fine.
Sounds like a classic Instrument Cluster Servo fault which many of us have experienced.

The little servos are a little bigger in diameter than a quarter, there are 7 of them. If you notice mine says "Speedo" funnily enough.

Actually it's not a big problem, and its usual to replace all the servos at the same time.

Options are:-
  • Most expensive option, send your cluster to 3rd party repair service, Google this here you can see there are dozens to shop around.
  • Do the job yourself (loads of YT videos on this) buy the servos on eBay here for example relatively cheap. You can also fit LED backlights at the same, there are
    on this also though I've not done this myself yet.
  • You may know someone handy with PCBs and electronics who could do the soldering work for you.
Electronically it's an easy job, the hardest bit is de-soldering the old servos which has to be done carefully without damaging the tracks or plated-through holes.

Let us know if this helps...

Old 01-15-2022, 04:19 PM

you have to be very careful desoldering those servos. the copper pads and traces are very small and will rip off the board. too much heat they lift. not enough heat they rip off. best to use a desoldering station. solder wick might not pull all the solder out of the through holes. a good flux is also required to wet that high temp solder.
there will be other things you will want to address while you are working on the board like burnt bulbs and cold solder joints on the smd's and resistor arrays and sometimes the harness plug pins.

Last edited by bronxteck; 01-15-2022 at 04:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 12:50 AM

@hdsoftai02

Did you fix it? What was the solution?

Old 02-04-2022, 12:52 AM

@hdsoftai02

Did you fix it? What was the solution?

If it has something to do with the water, did they wash the underside of the vehicle carriage?
Not sure where the speedo picks up the RPM, but guessing at some transmission contact or driveshaft magnet?
May have gotten wet or dislodged. Just guessing.

Old 02-04-2022, 05:38 AM

hdsoftai02

Hope your Thread Starter is or gets resolved as per finall's post?

Sticking needles often seem to be the speedometer, perhaps because this needle is bigger putting more load on that servo?

Re: Vehicle speed sensor, the circuit (I believe) is below:-

Not sure why the label shows two locations (could be generic)

Hope all this helps.

Old 02-04-2022, 11:15 AM

I have a 2005 H2 and have changed the Micromotors on all.Its not difficult to do just make sure you take a pic of all the dashboard gauges with plastic cluster flat pic before removing in order to get to the micromotors. You will just have to desoldor the speedometer micromotor and install the new one and solder back on.Install all back and done.Use a plastic panel kit from harborfreight to pull gauge sticks carefully they only like $5.98.

Old 02-04-2022, 01:50 PM

a disposable plastic fork will work as well in a pinch to get under the needle. it helps is you spin it around counter clockwise at least one time before prying to free up some of the stiction.