PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 H2 dashboard led upgrade project

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:23 PM
Default 2005 H2 dashboard led upgrade project

Hello guys,

As I am soon getting a week off, I am planning to do some work on my kinda boring stock interior dashboard illumination.

Since I have already "upgraded" my cluster with blue led lights and all other interior courtesy lights with HP3's leds (and I think it looks great), this is what I am planning to do next:

(Any suggestion is very welcomed!)

Last edited by Hbrezzi; 01-11-2019 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 03:47 PM

Decided to go with the red led

Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 PM

That is what I did on mine.... only thing is I'm going to have to redo the cluster to add brighter and/or more as the red is dimmer and makes it hard to read at night.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:04 PM

Hmmm, isn’t the lock button supposed to light up?

Old 01-13-2019, 12:44 AM

Still working on the AC control led conversion

Old 01-13-2019, 08:14 AM

No - there is no light in the 4WD lock button. You could add one which I plan on doing eventually. On your headlight switch the dimmer part icons also do not have a light. I added an LED to that part of mine. Eventually I plan on adding one the the 4WD lock button and I plan on redoing the heat/air controls. On the heat/air I'm going to add in a little plastic divider inside the control between the temperature **** parts. With all red lighting the cold is no longer shades blue like it should be. I saw on a GM truck forum where someone cut some little strips of thin plastic and stuck them in there to divide the temperature sections and then used white led's for the temperature dials so their colors are correct. I think they had to add an extra led too to make it look right. The airbag switch is pretty challenging to get into. This summer I'm going to finish it up and do all the door switches, rear seat heater buttons, etc. I hate that the finish on a lot of the buttons eventually chips off. Only fix I've found is to very carefully touch them up with matte black paint using a very tiny brush.

Old 01-13-2019, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by MixManSC
No - there is no light in the 4WD lock button. You could add one which I plan on doing eventually. On your headlight switch the dimmer part icons also do not have a light. I added an LED to that part of mine. Eventually I plan on adding one the the 4WD lock button and I plan on redoing the heat/air controls. On the heat/air I'm going to add in a little plastic divider inside the control between the temperature **** parts. With all red lighting the cold is no longer shades blue like it should be. I saw on a GM truck forum where someone cut some little strips of thin plastic and stuck them in there to divide the temperature sections and then used white led's for the temperature dials so their colors are correct. I think they had to add an extra led too to make it look right. The airbag switch is pretty challenging to get into. This summer I'm going to finish it up and do all the door switches, rear seat heater buttons, etc. I hate that the finish on a lot of the buttons eventually chips off. Only fix I've found is to very carefully touch them up with matte black paint using a very
Congratulations, great job!

I wish I had known all these things before ;-) Ihave just finished putting everything back together...

Thr only problem I had was with the airbag switch that now has no light.

I’m pleased with the overall result and I am happy with the blue/red combination. If you haven’t redone your cluster yer, I’d definitely recommend the blue leds that will match nicely with the red one you have installed.

Old 01-14-2019, 04:27 PM

Hi MixMan,

i just checked and the lock button doesn’t have the translucid cover to let the light trough... Have you already thought of a solution?

Old 01-15-2019, 08:33 AM

I was not aware of that issue. That does complicate things some. That being said, as far as I can tell on certain other buttons of that style that they might be painted black inside to block light and ones that light up have an almost blue color applied to allow light through and give the blue/green stock color. Its possible that you might be able to scrape some on the inside directly under the icon. I'm not sure though and I'd have to take mine out to see myself.

One thing I did just check though - GM trucks use a physically identical 4WD selector switch but the top button is for a different function on the trucks and SUV's. Physically they are the same though and on my GMC truck the top button "AUTO" does light up. Since my truck is apart right now I took a quick look and opened the button panel up. My thinking is that maybe we can get a 4WD switch panel for one of the GM trucks and then just use the internal clear light guide part to direct light to the top button on our Hummer ones. That is however dependent on if some of the coating inside the button can be cleared away to allow light to pass through it. Couple of pictures of the one for my GMC truck. You can see that I changed it to red and you can see that there is a light guide to direct light to the top button and that the top button has the light blue looking spot where AUTO lights up. I never really paid attention but I also see that 4WD is not lit, only the word AUTO.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:42 AM

I should have take. a pic of the button... but you are right, the design is config to illuminate the “auto 4wd”, in our case it is just an issue with the button.

I should be getting some high quality led bulbs soon and I will take everything apart again and improve some details that I kinda messed up in my first noob attempt.

Just finished reinstalling the ac module and one of the leds is out :-(

Quick Reply: 2005 H2 dashboard led upgrade project