PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2003 H2 battery keeps dying

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 09:41 PM
Default 2003 H2 battery keeps dying

Battery was dead first time, mechanic said battery was original so replaced it.

Alternator checked out fine.

Still dying every couple days.

Took to different mechanic, told me it had a faulty ground.

Thought it was fixed, worked fine for 3 days. Today drove it around, made a few stops. After 3rd stop, came out and battery was dead.
Had it towed back to original mechanic.

I have a feeling that nobody will be able to figure it out.

I am so frustrated, I'm ready to sell

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Old 09-12-2011, 04:04 AM
Super Moderator

Onstar fuse is a good place to start.... but if that doesn;t work...

if you have a testlight, pull the positive cable from the battery, and hook the test light in place... if it lights up you have to pull suspect fuses until you find the one that is making the draw.

Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 AM

thanks guys, I will pass this info on to the mechanic. Hopefully it works!!

Old 09-12-2011, 01:44 PM

Check your stereo. The head unit. I had the same issues, replaced all the standard stuff, battery, etc, and it turned out to be the radio. Just kept pulling power. Replaced with a third party NAV and fine since.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 AM

Well its in the shop and I told them about the onstar fuse, and they said that still doesnt explain why it dies while I am out driving it. Which is true..
It dies not from sitting along time, it dies when I stop after driving it. It should be charging while I am driving it. It always happens when I am running the AC too.
So I drive somewhere, park come out, its fine. Drive somewhere else, come out its dead completely. So so strange!!!

Also all my gauges work fine except for the battery guage, probably related somehow. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:08 PM

ok here is the latest. I went to pick it up today, cuz the mechanic has had it all week and can't figure it out. When I am there, the mechanic that works saturdays asks me if he cant take a look at it for a couple hours before I take it home. He calls me and says hes 98% sure if they put a new Cluster guage in, that it will take care of the problem. The battery guage on the cluster does not work, all other guages do. He tells me that since the battery guage doesnt work, that when the computer tries to tell it the alternator that it needs to be charging, the message is not getting through, because of the battery guage not working. something about the stepper motor or something - I dont know. Anyway he convinced me to get a new cluster, the price is like $335 for the part, I told them to go ahead and do it. So Monday they are going to put that in and then drive it for a couple days, he says he wants to be 100% sure it is fixed before they give it back to me. Do you guys have any opinion on whether you think this will do the trick? thanks so much!

Old 11-15-2011, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by mnext02
ok here is the latest. I went to pick it up today, cuz the mechanic has had it all week and can't figure it out. When I am there, the mechanic that works saturdays asks me if he cant take a look at it for a couple hours before I take it home. He calls me and says hes 98% sure if they put a new Cluster guage in, that it will take care of the problem. The battery guage on the cluster does not work, all other guages do. He tells me that since the battery guage doesnt work, that when the computer tries to tell it the alternator that it needs to be charging, the message is not getting through, because of the battery guage not working. something about the stepper motor or something - I dont know. Anyway he convinced me to get a new cluster, the price is like $335 for the part, I told them to go ahead and do it. So Monday they are going to put that in and then drive it for a couple days, he says he wants to be 100% sure it is fixed before they give it back to me. Do you guys have any opinion on whether you think this will do the trick? thanks so much!
Well it's been a couple of months, do they still have your truck? What's the Verdict?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:40 PM

verdict is...
They replaced the gauge cluster and it worked fine after.. however when they replaced the gauge cluster they noticed a wire going to the alternator that was partially cracked and probably was the whole problem.. - nothing to do with the new battery I bought, faulty ground, blah blah blah..

so anyway I bought the H2 for $14k - $15k after tax - put about $2k into repairs - so about $17k into it total.

Threw it up on craigslist for $19k just to see if anyone would bite. Sold it for $18,700.
Had my fun and moved on..

Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM

Hello, I'm a first timer here in the forum, and I come from Finland, Scandinavia, Europe. I also own the H2 model year -03, expensive gasoline, but Finland is mainly due to the time a small car the Audi A3 is eating much less gasoline. So is driving the Hummer has less. The root cause of why I signed up here in the forum is that I would like to ask you, which makes the Hummer battery is totally empty, if the car has not been used for a week? Hummer is the heart of the Optima Yellowtop. Thank you in advance for your answers.

with respect
Tomba

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 battery keeps dying