Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

2003 H2 Air Compressor problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2019, 12:12 PM
Default 2003 H2 Air Compressor problems

I had the complete system replaced last year by a dealer but the ride level button never worked. Now the air pump switch in the rear does not work. When i turn on the ignition, the pumps cycle on for four short bursts and then shut off. Any Suggestions?

Old 02-18-2019, 09:11 PM

It should still be under warranty if you had a dealer replace the entire system. They usually warranty the parts for a year.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:51 AM

It shoudl not have even left the stealership if the ride height button was not working. I know having them replace the entire compressor shelf was not cheap. Just to be sure though - you do have to have all 4 doors closed and the engine running for the ride height button to work.... Either way it sounds like the dealer messed up in some manner.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:56 AM
Default More info on the Compressor Failure

Thank you both for your replies. I guess i need to provide a bit more information on what i have had done and what the new symptoms are.
I bought the H2 at Portland Cadillac in September 2016 with 85K miles on it. It had alot of dry rot problems that i did not notice when i purchased it. After a few months, the belts started squealing so i took it to the dealer and they replaced all of the belts, pulleys, and idlers.. Then i asked the same dealer to check over everything to make sure that i would not have any additional problems. At this point, the Ride height button worked perfectly. When i left the Dealership, i was able to get about 5 miles when the rear air bags blew and left me on the side of the road. I had it towed back to the Dealership to get an estimate on the repairs. (November 2017) They provided me with an estimate to replace the entire system. When the air bags blew out, they damaged all of the lines and the compressor. The compressor was replaced with a brand new dual compressor setup with all new lines and hoses. I did not pay close attention to it at the time, but i did notice that the air ride button did not lift up the back like it did before. I mistakenly took that as a modification and accepted it without asking any questions because the bags were staying inflated and the rear aux compressor outlet worked fine when pushing the button.
I do not drive it very much due to being out of town working, so not it only has 89K miles on it. I moved from the Portland area to Tennessee and it just sits in the garage.
I went to crank it up on friday and it was very sluggish at turning over but it did crank up. As i pulled out on the road, there was a notice on the dash that said to check air-ride system. It looked like it was riding a bit low in the rear so i started looking at the compressors. The ride height button LED light blinks for a few seconds and then goes back off and nothing happens. The Rear aux air button does not work now. I thought that it may be the compressors, so i removed the compressors with the tray and placed it on a work bench to test. I applied 12vdc to the main power to each compressor and they worked perfectly. All the lines were tight and had no leaks. When i removed the compressor lines, i released all of the air in the air ride system and the back end dropped all the way down. When i put the compressor back in and hooked everything back up, the compressor comes on for four short bursts and then goes silent. The bags will not inflate. I am so ready to just put springs in this thing, but considering all of the money i spent on the air ride system, that would be crazy.
I am thinking that it must be a solenoid gone bad or something of that nature. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to test next?

Old 02-19-2019, 05:53 PM

Really hard to tell for certain. Just about need a Tech2 to really troubleshoot the air ride properly. Some independent mechanics will have one and any GM dealership will have one. No aftermarket scan tool that I'm aware of can directly talk to the air ride module and test it. The Tech2 has special functions for it like recalibrating the ride height, deflating the system for service, functional checks, etc. So the ride height button is responding but its not doing anything. I'd guess that is because it sees some sort of an error. Only things I can think to try otherwise would be to double check the electrical connections at the compressor (you had it out so that is done), maybe at the ride height sensors you can see behind each back wheel. Check for possibly a bad ground. Maybe its just not getting enough current and shuts itself back down. That could be due to a bad or poor ground or even a weak battery. Other than that the next thing I'd do is connect a Tech2 to the vehicle to see what that shows. I actually have one but most people dont. You can drive it with the rear all the way down to get it somewhere. It will just ride terrible in the rear since it will just be just riding on the bumpstops.

Old 02-20-2019, 09:46 AM

Thank you for your input on the Tech2. I have a neighbor that let me borrow his code reader and all it was able to do is basic functions. It looks like i will have to take it to a mechanic to have it checked out.
I saw in another thread where someone was able to re-inflate their air bags by using the inlet at the air pump and pumped them up using an external compressor. I actually looked into this, but on my dual compressor setup, there are two different size lines. The air line coming from the air reservoir is a larger diameter than the ones feeding air into the airbags. It doesn't look to me kike that scenario is even possible. Do you think that it is even possible to inflate them by bypassing the onboard compressors?

Old 02-20-2019, 11:15 AM

I have no idea on that..... I'd think the solenoid valves in the system would prevent that but really no idea.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:00 PM

I have the same problem with the air compressor , I have to buy a Tech2... or switch to spring ...
I have check alimentation, fuse, cables/connectors : nothing wrong , tomorrow I'll check all sensor ,solenoid valves ...I thinking about the ASM : gone bad ? (gm 10363984 not cheap )

Old 02-20-2019, 05:48 PM

Search on here for posts by Oceanbrave. He has really dug into the air ride system more than anyone I think and has figured out pretty much exactly what is what on it and has posted a good bit about it.

Old 02-21-2019, 04:41 PM

Here is my new plan; Since i live up on a ridge and don't want to risk driving down the winding roads with steep drop offs and no rear suspension, i have decided on attempting a temporary fix to make it drive-able to take to a mechanic. I saw on someone else's post that they bought a Pneumatic push to connect fitting with OD 5/32" quick release T Union. They pulled the lines from the fitting on the compressor end and also plugged in the auxiliary line into the "T" fitting and used an external pump to air up the bags. I could (in theory) air up the suspension and even let air out by using the external outlet in the back of the vehicle. This would completely bypass the entire Air Ride system. I am hoping that this will work. The Pneumatic "T" was purchased on E-Bay. Got a 5 pack for $11.99

Quick Reply: 2003 H2 Air Compressor problems