PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

08 Died at Stop Light

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Default 08 Died at Stop Light

Yep, I've been singing the praises of my 08 H2 and how well it tows. Well after towing for 2hrs and about 15 miles from home we stopped at a stop light and the engine turned off.

All electrical worked and the car cranked just fine. But it would not start. I had a buddy tow me to a parking lot nearby. We tried jumping it but it would not start. Just crank and crank and crank. Finally he suggests putting the peddle to the floor and start it. (I had tried giving it gas a few starts before with no success but not flooring it) Apparently putting the peddle to the floor did the trick and it fired right up. I have not had any issues in the last 10 starts.

There are no codes showing up and no check engine light. The only thing that was different is I had forgot to take the H2 out of 4-high lock. I drove like that for 2hrs on the freeway. I noticed it when stuck at the light and turned it to 4-high normal.

I have no idea why 4-high lock would cause the H2 to stall and not start but thought I'd mention it.

Anyone experience this? Or know why flooring it while starting did the trick? I'm thinking about replacing the fuel filter b/c this seems like a fuel issue.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:52 PM

I can remember pushing the accelerator all the way to the floor back in the carb days when the engine would be flooded from multiple failed starts. In these electronically controlled engines I can't imagine that would actually do much. There is too many factors and sensors involved. Part of me believes it was pure coincidence. Have you checked for hidden faults and/or trouble codes-not all fire a CEL?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:57 PM

We put a scanner on it and nothing came up. With the number of times we tried to start it, it's hard to believe it's a coincidence. But I get what you are saying about how computer controlled these things are; it's hard to believe mashing the gas had anything to do with it. But I believe it now

Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 AM

Mashing the gas pedal to the floor while cranking shuts off the fuel injectors. Was the engine misfiring before it died? For it to be flooded so bad it killed the motor at a stoplight should have thrown a code. I would see if the plugs show signs of excessive fuel. I tend to think it was a coincidence with the gas pedal and I would lean towards installing a new crank sensor

Old 09-07-2017, 10:52 AM

I'll add a crank position sensor to the list of todo's, thanks.

Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM

Flooring the gas pedal makes the PCM go into 'Clear Flood" mode - denying fuel.
But in your case with no codes for that event - it seems the engine stalled because of some hardware fail. Thats why there is no codes in memory or history. As far as crank sensor..I dunno..they usually do not get better...but worse in the long run.
Well in any event gremlins in vehicles do exist and there is no explanation to it when it doesn't occur again.

Old 09-08-2017, 04:31 AM

Could be the fuel pump?

Old 09-08-2017, 07:17 AM

usually fuel pumps will just quit and thats it. The only thing you can really do is when and if it ever does this is to check the spark first by unplugging one COP and see if it sparks when cranking. If it does then the other is to have a can of starting spray and spray some into the inlet but not into the MAF sensor. Basically your checking if you have the basics of fuel and spark. If you suspect fuel - then you should get a gas pressure gauge and have that routed so you can see it. Pressure should be 60-66 for all Vortec engines. Min is 55 psi.. But then again...ths may not happen...could be a one time event. Had that happen on my 96 Tacoma..ran really bad on one start..then okay..never did it again..I dunno..same thing with you probably!

Old 09-09-2017, 05:54 AM

Been googling and it seems you are not alone, but so far I haven't found a post with a solution but I'll keep looking (did find a post with dead bees in the air-filter)

Did find this though.

By the way which scan tool did you use?

Last edited by oceanbrave; 09-09-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 09:25 AM

Thanks for the help and info. It's been A-OK since and I've not done anything to it. We have another trip coming up next month. Hope it goes well.