PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

06 h2 with 22.5k miles

Old 11-08-2008, 06:00 PM
Default 06 h2 with 22.5k miles

I was at the dealer today looking for a new H2

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a nice 06 black/black with 22k miles.. They were asking 29,850.. Being that the market is bad I figured that i would offer 25k and work my way up..

After a test drive and the usual "i have to speak to my manager" the sales guy comes back and says "my manager wont even counter such a ridiculous offer. We owe more than that on this truck... Have a good day. I'd love to earn your business."..???????? WTF?

Am I that far off or is this guy just a *****?? I simply cant believe that they would let me walk out. I had no trade in and was talking about payment terms with them for a few minutes when I walked in. I told them if needed I would pay cash. Wouldn't you think that they would work with me on this??? I know that they just took the truck in on trade yesterday so they probably think that they can sell it at 29k. I would never have expected that the price for a used Hummer to be firm? I guarantee you that the person who traded it in got dragged over the coals! I'm so infuriated!! Any advice on how (or if) I should proceed??

Old 11-08-2008, 11:34 PM
Default RE: 06 h2 with 22.5k miles

Well, "my manager wont even counter such a ridiculous offer" was rude as hell. Your offer was a little low, but not rudely so. FWIW I just paid $23.7k for a black '03 with 15k miles. I tried to buy the truck for $23k (a mere $700 off) and they refused. Said they only had $200 margin into it. Probably a lie, but honestly? I got a "brand new" $65,000 truck for $23.7k. I practically stole it. I'm not complaining.

It's doubtful you will get them to budge much on the price. Here's why: Nobody is buying these trucks right now. That's why they're so cheap. The dealers already have them marked down as low as they can possibly go without losing money. So the prices you find are, logically speaking, going to be pretty firm. Dealers are stubborn; they'd rather sit on a vehicle for another 6 months and lose a grand or two in depreciation than let someone take it for less than they have into it. Recommend you ask them their bottom dollar price, then tell 'em you'll give them $500 less and you'll finance it through them. They like it when you finance through them, they get a kickback from the bank. Honestly, they will probably give you a "bottom dollar price" of $29.5k but they may take $29k. And for a cherry '06 that would be a fair deal, in my opinion.

Old 11-09-2008, 02:45 AM

It sounds like a DAMN GOOD DEAL to let it slip away because of a ***** salesman!!!

What I WOULD DO is go back there, find a DIFFERENT salesman and offer $28,000(if it's in your price range)!!

Let the 1st salesman SUCK IT!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:18 PM

Thanks guys! To be honest, the sales guy was nice. It was the manager who was a dick. I'm almost temped to call the GM of Wright Automotive group and explain that he also lost 15 commercial vehicles every two years as a result. I own a company and we regularly buy from another GM dealer in the area. Since my other dealer does not have the Hummer brand I decided to drop by Wright Hummer. They could have earned my commercial business if they managed to have some class during this transaction.
Listen, I understand that the bid what low.. truthfully, I get it. These guys are going through a hard time but that's why they call it a market. No one ever called me when I made a bad stock purchase and said "hey man, I know that you bought at 20 and it's now trading at 12... But we'll give you 15 cuz we feel bad" I'll let them sit on it and wait for another hummer dealer within 100 miles earn my business. I'd rather give it to someone who is willing to earn it.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:38 PM

I dont think your first offer was far off. i would have offered the same and like you said work from there. he made it sound like you offered him 10K less than his asking price. Very Rude ! Send your wife in and have her offer the same as you, if your hot for the truck. See what happens. I bet part of it is that people are looking for steals all the time now and maybe they get those all day long simply getting insultated thinking they makes "tons" of money on these vehicles. With GM and the car market being in the news almost daily you would be led to believe that dealerships aren't selling anything and would just love to sell stuff for pratically nothing, and I bet some dealerships maybe doing just that. But some consumers love to take complete advantage of a situation thinking they are entiteled to steal everything. Frustrating for sales people.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 AM

Seeing as you do not have a trade in they cannot play the numbers game to write off some money on the trade in. You can however ask them what they can throw in if they are firm on the bottom line. Ask them to give you the 30K service free when it is due, that is about $500. Floormats, Tires, Onstar subscription, Nav, see what you can get.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Great Idea.. I'll try that..

Just an update..

The dealer called me tonight and asked me if I had come up with a more "reasonable" offer. I about fell of my chair! Too funny. To make a pertinent point, I took my cl500 to the MB dealer up the street and asked for a trade in price. They offered me 5k below the "trade in" value on KBB...

So I called the dealer back and explained that if he had more than 25k "into the car" then I'd like to see it. Basically, I'm calling B.S. The trade value on KBB (which is probably not that accurate, I know) for an 06 with 22k miles, running boards, rear air suspension, tow pkg, moon roof, cd changer, no chrome/frills is 23k for excellent condition. So by using a little deductive reasoning one would think that they probably paid around 20-24 for the car right?? So, I'm sticking at 25.5 max. Problem with this truck is that I can get an 07 for 32-37 and an 08 for 35-42 depending on options, condition, etc.. I truly like the older tranny. I've got an 08 Yukon Denali and I hate the 6 speed! It's always in too high of a gear! When you to pass someone it always needs to drop 2 gears to get "moving". I've pulled out in front of traffic before and the darn thing almost stalled. All I really need to do is get a CAI and exhaust to help throttle response but that's another story... Either way, What do you guys think? I would probably be a good deal if they certified it and did the 30k service at a price of 27k but I know I can do better if I have patience. I've always been on the other end of this stick and refuse to take a beating on this one. There is a dealer up the street offering a 'white' 07 with 7k miles, luxury pkg?, navi, rear camera, etc... for 33k.. Unfortunately I hate white. I'd love to do the black on black with 22inch rockstars and grapplers...

This leads me to another question. If and when I purchase one, can I fit 24's with a low profile "grappler" style on a stock H2 or should I buy the 22's and have the rear end lowered an inch.. I like the look when the wheels fill the wheel well. The rear seems to sit higher on the H2 and I've seen leveling kits that raise the front end but haven't seen any that lower the rear end... I'd prefer not to lift the truck anymore than possible because it wont fit into my garage.

Guys, Thanks for the good responses...

I can't wait to join the club. Hopefully I'll close this deal by month end! Its starting to snow here! Ha ha..

Old 11-11-2008, 01:12 AM

Sweet.......Good Luck.......

Old 11-13-2008, 12:07 PM

Not sure if it helps, but I bought my '05 H2 LUXthis Labor Day weekend. It had 11,270 miles on it and is pristine. They wanted $26,888 for it at our local Bentley and Rolls Royce dealer. I offered $19,800. We all had a good laughand no one became insulted. I ended up paying their asking price which was a steal anyway and they knew it. They just wanted to get rid of it.

I'd say you are right in the ballpark at $29,850 for an '06. I'd try $27,500, but that's just the kind of guy I am.

Old 11-15-2008, 11:11 PM

I bought my 07 loaded (Nav, Lux etc.) three months ago for $27,000 from a dealer ... your offer was more than in the ball park ... I would walk and buy it some place else ... plenty to choose from out there now.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 06 h2 with 22.5k miles