PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04' main cluster LED help 4 U

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 09:09 AM
Default 04' main cluster LED help 4 U

Ok I'm replacing my dash lights on the main cluster. I'm soldering in LED's, I have it all apart and pretty much all I've seen on the subject says, basically, solder in the LED's assemble and try. If any fail to light unassailable, un-solder and reverse the polarity. Nope not my way to do a lot of extra work for nothing.
So here's what I did, disassembled it plugged JUST the circuit board in and tested each light for its polarity. Below are pictures of the board.. Now I CAN'T say for sure if this is true on all 04's or for any other year. But I figured it might save someone a bit of work if they are doing the same. The BLUE marks indicate the (-) negative side.

Note: they are UV purple colored LED's I'm installing....

Attached Thumbnails 04' main cluster LED help 4 U-img_2887.jpg   04' main cluster LED help 4 U-img_2888.jpg   04' main cluster LED help 4 U-img_2889.jpg   04' main cluster LED help 4 U-img_2890.jpg   04' main cluster LED help 4 U-img_2891.jpg  

04' main cluster LED help 4 U-img_2892.jpg  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:15 AM

Great post Thumbsup!

Old 05-10-2017, 10:09 PM

Thank you so much. Just finished the steering wheel controls.

What does one do about the display, like the mileage. It was at on time a liquid crystal display but its called something else and the color cant be changed . I hear there is a filter one can install. I imagine this as a piece of colored film. i am using a dark blue so the factory greenish blue just doesnt look right. same problem on ac controler.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:28 AM

You can find out tons more info on the various GM truck forums on all of these swaps. Some folks have done the clear gel sheets over the displays with success but its never goign to be very perfect because of the very nature of the displays. They are VFD displays and their color cannot internally be changed so the only choice is to try different optically clear gel filters that you can get at hobby shops.

On the gauges and buttons - I have done all of mine in red. Actually just re-did the steering wheel controls. I did them with LED's at first but they were too bright and it just did not look right to me. So I got some tiny 12v bulbs from a local hobby shop that specializes in trains and those are perfect. Some of the button modules are a bit difficult - the worst is the airbag switch. That is one of the most infuriating and hard to open things you will encounter in your entire life.

On mine I still need to do all the door switches and rear seat controls. Also going to redo the ac panel. I am going to fabricate some small dividers inside so the blue parts of the temperature bands light up a nice rich blue and the rest red. Finally I'm going to redo the instrument cluster. I used those same flat top led's that e-dragon did and I have hot spots and lots of places where its just not lit good at all.

Old 05-12-2017, 07:55 AM
Default Steering Wheel LED Polarity

I have the GM polarity for the LEDs on the steering wheels. I will scan and post latter in the day. Someone was digging in the neighborhood before they called and my connectivity sucks right now.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:09 AM

MixmanSC:

The wheel went easy for me. Used a pair of long curved tweezers and did not have to pull the air bag or even start drinking early. You are right about the LEDS on the wheel. They are bright and really bug me.

They are hard to find but their are some led lamp type replacements on Ebay I have used which seems to diffuse the light prety good. I am using a light blue through out. My problem was cold solder joints. I was afraid to put too much heat to the circuit board but in the end i looks like the board can take it.

I subscribed to an online service for a manual at repairsmanuals.com for my 2006. It has been invaluable just in the time it has saved me. Annual subscription but I printed (saved as pdf) most of the schematics and stuff I think I may need.

Ted