PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

'03 Transfer Case Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:42 PM
Default '03 Transfer Case Shifting Issues

Hello All

Needing advice on my T-Case shifting issues on my 2003 H2.

First off I was not able to shift out of 4Hi at all. I press the 4hi-Lock button, it would flash and then nothing. So after the mechanic reviewed, we both agreed to try a new shifting motor first.

So we put the truck up on the lift, unplugged old motor and removed mounting bolts. He made a comment the motor is not in the same position as the T-case was. I believe he then moved the shifting motor to match the t-case. Bolted it back up, and plugged in. Seemed simple right?

Now we go to test. I can shift from 4Hi to 4Hi-lock very nicely. YAY!!!! So I put the Tranny in neutral, foot on the brakes, and try to shift from 4Hi-Lock to 4Low-Lock and there is a LOAD knock and no shifting. I am still showing 4Hi-lock light on.

Upon researching, I find instructions that says the transfer case should have been put in neutral before removing the shifting motor.

Is the shifting motor now out of sync with the T-case? Is that causing the pop and 4Low shifting failure? If it is, how do I go about resetting the shifting motor and/or t-case to get them back in Sync?

I was reading that I should be able to turn then shaft on the t-case with a pair of pliers freely. Should we put the truck on the lift and try shifting into the 4Lo position by hand? If that works attach electrical of motor back and see if motor shifts smoothly when not connected to t-case?

I am trying to think of anything that could rule out the shifting fork inside the t-case.

Input, suggestions, comments, help is greatly appreciated.