PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Want to buy a H1 but have herd nothing but CON'S about them..

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:07 PM
Default Want to buy a H1 but have herd nothing but CON'S about them..

Well for one I need advice from H1 owners and all Hummer fanatics. I have a deal going on with a 1994 fully redone H1 with snorkel and dvd's the whole werks. Great price under Kelly's Blue Book if I pay cash up front. A legit dealer of fine USA Muscle cars and toys in the midwest.

I talked to my Hummer dealer who said all H1 parts are gone b/c of the Government needing them for Iraq and elsewheres. Only place is here or other internet sites to find anything.

Thats cool as I am a OIF vet myself and I know we need them over in the Sand Box.

Are there any after market parts plus doesnt some GM parts work? I used to have a 6.5 ltr pickup so I know the motor is no issue, but drive trains and tranny work as well brakes etc.

I always wanted one of these and now it can happen but I hate to invest in a money trap.

as well how reliable are these trucks for everyday use? I know they are great but we did have Motor T working on them a lot in the Marines.

Be honest and dis it out as this is a big deal for me...[:@]

Old 11-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Default RE: Want to buy a H1 but have herd nothing but CON'S about them..

i bet you will get the answers you are looking for on here.i personally have a h3,and love it.....always wanted an h1

Old 11-29-2007, 05:57 PM

a 13 year old truck is going to require maintenance, and if you're mechanically inclined you'll save yourself a ton of money. there are a lot of things on the H1 that aren't common on other vehicles - geared hubs, inboard brakes, 4 halfshafts (in 3 different sizes) and a lot more that i can't remember. i don't own an H1 either, but have helped in field repairs on them a few times.they're not the most mechanically friendly vehicles around, but at least you don't have to jack it up to work underneath it. basically, it's a 9000 lb vehicle built to go anywhere and when taken anywhere, it can break. hopefully you'll get some more sound advice from an actual owner, but if you're getting a good deal on it, i'd say go for it. as for the marines working on them a lot, you probably won't drive it the same way they did - after all, it's your money, not uncle sam's. . . . . .

Old 11-30-2007, 02:33 PM

Anyone who buys an H1 is a complete idiot, so hey maybe you should go get one. They are worthless.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: faceman13

Well for one I need advice from H1 owners and all Hummer fanatics. I have a deal going on with a 1994 fully redone H1 with snorkel and dvd's the whole werks. Great price under Kelly's Blue Book if I pay cash up front. A legit dealer of fine USA Muscle cars and toys in the midwest.

I talked to my Hummer dealer who said all H1 parts are gone b/c of the Government needing them for Iraq and elsewheres. Only place is here or other internet sites to find anything.

Thats cool as I am a OIF vet myself and I know we need them over in the Sand Box.

Are there any after market parts plus doesnt some GM parts work? I used to have a 6.5 ltr pickup so I know the motor is no issue, but drive trains and tranny work as well brakes etc.

I always wanted one of these and now it can happen but I hate to invest in a money trap.

as well how reliable are these trucks for everyday use? I know they are great but we did have Motor T working on them a lot in the Marines.

Be honest and dis it out as this is a big deal for me...[:@]
I woudnt pay much mind to most hummer dealers... Dont get me wrong there are stand up ones out there(Lynch,etc...) but most of them just want to unload their H2 and H3 inventory on you. I know because I had same problem went to local dealership inquiring about an H1 and the sales rep just said nothing but untrue bad things about them then tried to unload an H2 on me.
Now as for parts being gone. I personally never had a problem with getting any part, There are always rebuilt/surplus parts on ebay also bluehummer.com and lynch is always fast at shipping out parts.Plus like you said the engine is just a 6.5L so those parts are not hard to get ahold of and there are sites out there that have napa etc part # cross reference to get after market stuff.

As for a money trap yes they can be if you abuse them or the previous owner did... I myself bought a not well maintained abused H1 and abused it myself as well... And it took some cash to get it into tip top mechanical state but once it was there all you have to do really is just maintain it doing A,B and C services and should be fine. I use my H1 as a daily driver(only on the road ride i got) and a trail rig and really hasnt given me too bad of problems, no doubt after the first 8 months of abuse and little maintenance it was in the shop alot and cost a fortune but that was due to 1 a bad mechanic(monkey mechanic which I no longer use) and 2 taking it into the rip off dealership. Since then I found a local H1 mechanic(1.5 hrs away) and it has been running excellent and been easy on the wallet ever since. Plus you have to consider the age and miles on these rigs mine is almost 10 years old and has over 100k miles and still running strong. and believe it or no I believe the H1 is cheaper and easier to maintain than an H2 if you abuse it but that is just from my own personal account for instance I had a friend with an H2 and he would come wheel with us every weekend but most mondays it would be in the shop for various things.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:29 PM

The H1 in mind has been pampered never off road with 65,000 miles and all the service done at a Hummer dealer. The Vic has about $31k of extras put in it such as the CTIS put in and serviced the motor and tranny with all fluids and filters replaced and good rubber. Plus new seats and all the other jazz I dont care about like three DVD's and a Stero system all for $28,500 for a 1994 wagon.

The book list $34,500 for good condition and I herd it won't go down much anymore at this price.

The guy is over invatory with muscle cars so he needs to slim some fat.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: faceman13

The H1 in mind has been pampered never off road with 65,000 miles and all the service done at a Hummer dealer. The Vic has about $31k of extras put in it such as the CTIS put in and serviced the motor and tranny with all fluids and filters replaced and good rubber. Plus new seats and all the other jazz I dont care about like three DVD's and a Stero system all for $28,500 for a 1994 wagon.

The book list $34,500 for good condition and I herd it won't go down much anymore at this price.

The guy is over invatory with muscle cars so he needs to slim some fat.
28 isnt bad especially for a pampered 94 with CTIS and yeah once they hit the high 20's they usually stay there unless they are melons.
What is the milage?

Old 12-02-2007, 02:38 PM

65,000 miles with all services been done even new filters and fluids in Tranny and of course motor.

If I dorve this thing about 10,000 miles a year will and like a dork real careful to keep cost down, will it handle this? As well keep the value as if I am under a 100,000 miles I can always resell the thing?

Its just I saved my money from Iraq for this thing and hate to loose out on my own blood money I rightfully earned.....

Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

My personal opinion is buy it. There will never come a day that you cannot get a new motor... or find a mechanic to rebuild yours. The maintenance is higher than anything else on the road... but if you own it and are not making payments then save some cash for a rainy day. If you live paycheck to paycheck then this isn't the right ride for you.. even if it was free.

and that of course is my $.02

Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 PM

ORIGINAL: Muddydawg75

If you live paycheck to paycheck then this isn't the right ride for you.. even if it was free.

I totally agree with that....

And 65k miles is very good. I bought mine may of 2006 with 80k miles i put over 10k miles on it before 2007 came around and that was both daily driving and very abusive offroading(as you can see in my pics and videos, use to go out every weekend) and yes i did end up putting alot of $$ into it due to bad mechanic and expensive dealership also just cuz of age and lack of TLC from previous owner... but since I put the money into it just around its 1st bday since then i havent had a problem with it at all, and now she has about 105k miles on here and running better than when I first bought it but I have slowed down on offroading only go out once a monthif lucky.