PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires and rims

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:07 PM
Default Tires and rims

Hello everyone!

Need a little advice. I have a '99 H1. I'm looking to put new tires on it (something with a little more offroad capability). I looked into the Goodyear MTR but they didn't have it in my size. They had the Goodyear MTA but it was over $650 each. This is the first time I had to replace the tires so I'm very new at this. My questions are: Are there any other comparable tires with the Goodyear MTA that are less expensive? It seems that finding tires particular to my size is hard to get hold of (maybe because they are all being shipped to Iraq, who knows), but if its that difficult to get a hold of in general, should I consider maybe changing my rim size to something that I can find tires more readily and for a lot less?
Also, I'm a bit hesitant to go anywhere else besides the hummer dealership, say for example, an off-road custom shop. Only because I tried to take my hummer to a regular shop to get my A/C looked at and they completely messed it up. I ended up having to take it to the dealership (which is always more expensive), but what can I do? I called a few of these off-road places up and I can tell that they've never worked on an H1. Anyone think that I should still give them a try with my tires? Give me your opinions. Also, is there anything special I should ask or need to know about replacing the tires on an H1 besides the CTIS system? I did a quick call to my local Discount tire place and they said that they wouldn't touch it. Anyway, thanks for reading and any/all advice is appreciated.

btw, it's been awhile since i've been on this? hummer forum. Not sure if it's the same one...but my old link was bad and now my previous account didn't work...did the forum change?

mike

Old 02-20-2006, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Tires and rims

try this place i beleive free shipping
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...999&vid=005498

Old 02-21-2006, 03:28 PM

I've looked into Discount Tires...the nearest facility won't mount the tires on my hummer as I said previously. The manager won't even touch it. So if I bought the tires online, what good would it do me...I would still need a reliable place that will mount them for me. I already spoke with my local hummer dealership and they won't just mount tires if I bring them in. They will only mount tires that they sell, even if it's the same type that I can buy somewhere else. funny, huh?

mike

Old 02-22-2006, 11:42 AM

not many tire places will work on an H1. too many rim styles, and CTIS scares most of them off. there's not a wide range of tires made for the stock 16.5 rims either. best bet would be to go to a 17" rim if you don't have them already, more selection. the dealer may be your best bet for mounting though, at least they should know how, most places don't and could end up costing you more in the long run.

Old 03-12-2006, 01:44 AM

Thanks. Pretty pricey at the dealership. I'll keep looking into it, but so far it seems sticking with the 16.5 may be cheaper way to go, unless i find rims for a good price.

mike

Old 03-15-2006, 06:08 PM

I am a new member here at the forum, I have a set of Parnelli Jones dirt grip tires with about 1000 miles on them. They are currently mounted ona set of two piece wheels and in great shape. I went with a set of 20 inch wheels with 38 inch tires. Let me know if you may be interested.

Erik

Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM

tried ebay? anyways, while searching the net for some parts, i've bump on partstrain, they have lots of parts for various models. you may check thier Hummer parts catalog, you might find what you need, you can ask for their assistance. good luck

Old 05-06-2016, 01:01 AM

This would actually be a really awesome time to whip out tyre and rim insurance haha! Hopefully you managed to find the people who will do the replacements for you as well as stock the right tyres to fit your H1 mate. If you really end up having to go to the dealership, it's not all that bad though. At least you can be sure that they know what they're doing. And for all the hassle of having to figure out a cheaper alternative, perhaps its better to bite the bullet and pay them.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:56 PM

We have 3 sets of tires and wheels we could sell you. One are Cepek wheels with Super Swamper tires (these would be the least expensive). Also have a set of nearly new BFG Baja's on 24-bolt 2-peice wheels. Also have a set of 17" 2-piece black Hutchinson wheels with 50% tires on them I'd sell for $2500.