PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid question about the #8 cylinder issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Default Stupid question about the #8 cylinder issue...

I've got the itch to shop for an H1, so I've been doing some research. I'm aware of the issue with the block casting for the '96-2000 models causing the #8 cylinder to crack. But my question is this: is every single engine from that timeframe susceptible to the issue? That is, was every engine block faulty, and it's just a matter of time till it breaks? Or were there some engines made during that period that didn't have the problem. Obviously most trucks from that timeframe are getting up there in miles. If I found, say, a 1999 model with like 115k miles that still had the original engine, is it a safe assumption that that particular one WON'T have that particular engine problem?

I've read a couple of references to the fact that bad engines typically went bad relatively early in their lives. But I wasn't sure if ALL engines of that time period were bad, or simply that they all had the potential to have faulty castings. Thanks in advance for helping out a newbie!

Old 06-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Mine is from that timeframe, (a 99 wagon) and I can't find any record of the engine being changed by the previous two owners. So far it doesn't show any signs of the #8 nor the vampire in the t-case. I haven't been able to pull the cover on the turbo to check the numbers on the engine. I've got 84k and it still seems to be running strong, no known issues but a leaky power steering box.

I've got an issue with my gall badder that flairs up from time to time. Doctor said I can have it taken out or I might wait for it to be an emergency surgery. Or it might never be an issue. Seems almost like the same thing on a truck that you don't know if the engine was replaced.

If you take the chance on a questionable truck, it's in your best interest not to abuse it too much, say like driving through deep mud, etc. If something comes up like an heating problem, take care of it quick.

I think some people have gotten the shop history of their truck through Mike S at Tustin. I didn't get mine from the previous owner but an HML member got it after getting my VIN. I didn't see an engine change for the first 40k and I don't know the history between 40k and 66k. So far it has held up on two road trips equaling 4k, plus a run around Moab.

Old 06-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

My 98 block gave up at around 82K. My 97 block is still going strong at 110K. Heat seems to be the killer. Most suspect blocks failed with less than 30k miles on them. I have heard that about 30% failed but am not sure how accurate that is.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:00 AM

Thanks guys. I had also heard that most of the blocks with issues failed relatively early in their lives, but wanted to ask around a little further. I don't live in the desert but I would be driving the truck on a regular basis so I would need some measure of reliability. I appreciate your insights.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jeebus
But my question is this: is every single engine from that timeframe susceptible to the issue? That is, was every engine block faulty, and it's just a matter of time till it breaks
Originally Posted by jeebus
Thanks guys. I had also heard that most of the blocks with issues failed relatively early in their lives, but wanted to ask around a little further.
100% of all of these blocks will crack. The old saying that they crack early on in life if they are going to crack is some salesman selling bull****. Absolutely 100% of them will crack, it is a defect in the casting of the engine block (and there is another reason that an AM General engineer admitted to me when he was out at our shop a few months back but I won't post that here). If the orignal engine hasn't cracked yet it will but it could be tomorrow, or next week, or next year, or 92,568 miles from now......but it will crack for sure.

Recently we have replaced engines for cracked #8 blocks with 56k miles, 186k miles, 52k miles, and 87k miles. We put P400's in all of these.

Old 01-22-2017, 04:54 AM

What is the average repair cost to replace a cracked block? Any idea? Thx!

Old 01-22-2017, 11:57 AM
Super Moderator

Depends. New upgraded heavy block crate motor 12-15K depending on the shop. I found a low mileage takeout heavy block and total cost was about $4500.00.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:56 PM

We do it for about $15k turn-key (including labor, misc parts, fluids, etc).

When doing an engine we typically replace a lot of other related parts that make sense when you're doing an engine. Some shops reuse things like glow plugs, injectors, hardware, CDR, certain gaskets, etc but we just put in new everything.

Please call us if you need a quote on just an engine (we are an AMG engine dealer) or a turn-key projects. We have a location in Colorado and in Texas who can both handle this type of project.

Old 01-25-2017, 09:02 PM

Thank you!

Old 09-04-2017, 04:30 AM

One more question what are some of the tall tail signs on a #8 issues? Smoke? Grinding noise????

Quick Reply: Stupid question about the #8 cylinder issue...