PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Started Project BFH for the first time tonight :)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 01:34 AM
Default Started Project BFH for the first time tonight :)

Hey all-
Long time no post - I tore down my 1992 in the middle of november and started the cummins swap. After a couple of months of not really doing anything, I've been tearing through the swap over the last month to get it ready to pull my Rover to the easter jeep safari. Finally started it tonight... man it went well. Sounds great, clutch works perfect, drove it back and forth in the yard few times... awesome. Since the last time its been on the road, I built a 3" suspension lift to make more room for the engine - put a '95 12 valve cummins married to a nv4500 5spd and 241 selectable t-case in it - threw some 44" boggers under there - and so on, as all these modifications lead to many others. It truly is a big f'n hummer now. I used the dodge radiator and intercooler, and was able to clear the factory dodge engine fan along with two aux electric fans. All thats really left before its actually roadworthy is to finish the dual 4" exhaust, put an external regulator for the alternator on, fix an oil leak on the turbo feed line, and put the front clip and interior back together... bolt in the seat with the swivel mechanism I built for a more comfy ride . Unfortunately, I won't have time to take pics until after moab, and I may never get to the write up I had talked about doing before... Because it became a rush job project, I didn't take pics along the way. I'd be glad to share wisdom on the swap with those who are contemplating or actually doing there own conversion... there are certainly more than a few hoops to jump through. Its so close to being on the road I can taste it... but I have to work the real job this weekend... grrr....

Old 03-20-2009, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

The pics would have been awesome. Just got back from Moab and going back the week after Jeep Safari week

Old 03-23-2009, 12:13 PM

I started driving the thing on friday night - so far, its been awesome. I have one significant oil leak I havent addressed yet, and I initially had the alternator wired wrong, but other than that its went off without a hitch. Put 200+ miles on it so far - had it up to about 80mph, not having aligned it yet with huge used boggers - which works for me. Hopefully I'll be able to source out the oil leak today. It sounds like an airplane when you get on it, and its got amazing power - 0 to 60 in before you've realized you're speeding

Old 03-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

very cool. sounds like a great project

Old 05-06-2009, 12:17 AM

Well, after I tore down the motor to fix the oil leak once before moab and it still leaked, it didn't end up making the trip... but, I pulled it all apart again tonight with more new parts to throw at it and it seems to be good so far. First time I'd driven it in over a month... I'm excited about it again. I'll have some pics on here soon...

Old 05-07-2009, 12:04 AM

You will want to look into a auxillary external differential fluid cooler. Pretty much a tranny cooler with a pump and a electric fan. These Hummers are designed to be pulled around by two differentials and whenever you put all the load on one you will begin to overheat the diffs. Heat kills diff fluid and dead fluid kills bearings and metal. You don't see this problem in trucks since a live axle has so much more metal surface area to help with cooling. Most trucks don't weigh over 8k either lol. Awesome job though you have completed my dream. I have a 97 12 valve with twin turbo's pushin around 650 rwhp when I pulled it out of truck. My biggest issue is figuring out how beef up transfer case so I can keep awd. I just have to figure it out before my 6.5 turbo-terd pukes out.