PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe for my teenage new drivers...

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 05:54 PM
Default Safe for my teenage new drivers...

My son is 16 and recently got his license. He is now driving his 2 younger (14 and 15) brothers to school. We live about 7 miles from the school. He will not have to drive on the freeway. I am worried about his safety and want to get him the safest vehicle for them.... He has been driving about 6 months and is a great driver. He is a very respsonsible kid (better than I was at his age).... I am not worried about his driving as much as I am someone else hitting him.... Lots of High School kids drive fast and crazy around the school. I am thinking about buying an H1 for him to drive to school. I think it is heavy and safe. Am I wrong? I just want to know that if someone runs a stop sign and Tbones them they are as safe as I can make them.... What about an H2? I am leaning towards an H1 becuase then I can play with it on the weekends. I have 65 acres of property..... Money is not a big issue.... I think heavy is better and I have also heard the H! has re-enforced doors for safety. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:02 PM

Nothing teaches a kid responsibility better than buying him a vehicle! Especially an H1 seeing that money isn't an issue... They are big and safe for sure, but he probably won't be able to fit it in a school parking lot. Depending how big the lot is, he would have to wait for the cars around him to leave first so he could get out. Either way a 2 or a 1 would keep him and his brothers safe.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Volvos are very safe also... and little more user friendly when learning how to park something that is 80+ inches wide. I'm pretty sure H1's are the only non-commercial vehicle made in the last couple decades that don't even have airbags...

Old 08-22-2011, 07:36 PM

I did alot of research on the H3 and they are really safe WITH front and side air bags.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

I know quite a few people that have been in wrecks in their H1 and not had any injuries and frequently not much damage. That said I was in two wrecks in my 03 H2 and suffered no damage or injuries. Either could be a good choice but I would lean toward an H2 or 3 for a first car.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:21 PM

I remember all the crap I hit trying to learn to drive in a big honking Cadillac, the thought of a new driver in a H1 terrifies me, haha!

Old 08-22-2011, 10:35 PM

Haha,

I learned to drive in a 10 year-old Buick. (10 years old, 10 years ago!)

I had to give it back to my parents when I went to college. It had bad brakes, a bad transmission and a unreliable fuel gauge.

In the winter, I drove a Yukon with a broken steering box... this was in the mountains too...

Put the fear of God into me.

I've been driving for 12 years since then and have never caused an accident.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:43 AM

He has been driving for about 7 or 8 months. No problems at all. He is a good driver and a good kid. We adopted him about 10 years ago. He is currently driving my 2004 Silverado Xtra Cab. So he is used to a larger vehicle. Also he sometimes drive my 2011 Yukon XL Denali..... I just want them all as safe as can be..... The H2 seems like a good choice but the H1 seems like it would be lots of fun on the weekends..... I might have to retire my Rhino... LOL.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by rhinomike
He has been driving for about 7 or 8 months. No problems at all. He is a good driver and a good kid. We adopted him about 10 years ago. He is currently driving my 2004 Silverado Xtra Cab. So he is used to a larger vehicle. Also he sometimes drive my 2011 Yukon XL Denali..... I just want them all as safe as can be..... The H2 seems like a good choice but the H1 seems like it would be lots of fun on the weekends..... I might have to retire my Rhino... LOL.
Seems like this is something that you desire for yourself. If you want one, get it for yourself not for your son (new driver). It's a huge vehicle that should get more love an respect from an experienced driver. Sure it may keep him safe but what about the possible harm it can cause other people without good offensive/defensive driving experience? Buy one of u want, then pass down the other vehicles to him. If he is THAT good of a kid/driver like you say, u don't need a big military truck to protect him.

Old 08-23-2011, 12:46 PM

Yeah I dont necessarily have to have one... But it would be fun to have around. If I wanted one bad enough I would just go get it. I would drop $100k and get a newer model Alpha. The problem is I already have too many toys and vehicles that dont get used. They sit too much. So if I get one I need someone to drive it.... I am thinking about spending $30 - $40k and getting an older H1.

But honestly the real reason I am even thinking about it is to keep the boys safe. God forbid some *** hat runs a stop sign and Tbones them.... I want them to be as safe as possible. I think my 2004 Silverado is safe but thinking a H2 or H1 might be safer..... Not sure....

He wont have any problem driving it..... He drives tractors, quads, trucks, suv's.. etc....

Quick Reply: Safe for my teenage new drivers...