PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Replacing the PMD--Advice please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Default Replacing the PMD--Advice please!

Hi, it's my first time on this forum, but I've been reading up on some of the great threads you guys have here.I'm a relatively new H1 owner so I'm hoping to rely oneveryone's experience. From what I've read on the forum, it seems that I need to replace my PMD and install a remote mount PMD.I've tried to read all the topicsthat I could find on PMDs and stallingH1s, but I'm still a littlelost. If you're experienced with installing this set up, could you give me advice?

Specifically, which PMD kit should I buy? I've tried looking online and I see kits thatinclude the PMD such as the one from Predator and the one from Heath Diesel. However, there are also kits that require me to buy the PMD separately. Which is the best option? IfI buy the kit separately, where do I buy a PMD and which one is the best?My goal is reliability--I'm tired of having my H1 stop in the middle of the road and having to wait until it will start up again.The last time that happened, the truckdied completely and wouldn't start up againand I had to get it towed home. For such an awesome carto break down in the middle of the road was quite embarrasing!

Ifwere to switch to a remote mount set-up, would I have to remove the old PMD installed at thefuel injectorpump?Would this require taking apart thefuelinjector andsomeone with mechanic experience?

Any tips would be appreciated. I look forward to your replies!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Default RE: Replacing the PMD--Advice please!

Its really very simple, all you have to do is unplug the old one, rout the extension harness under the truck and drill 2 holes in the cross member in front of the front diffrential. no you dont have to remove the old unit. I have the pmd with the harness and the entire unit mounted on a aluminum plate for rapid cool off.If you need futher instruction on the install feel free to call

Old 04-10-2008, 02:18 AM

it is really simple to do. Here are a few sites with info/products:
http://www.flashoffroad.com/Diesel/i...onpump/fsd.htm
http://www.pmdcooler.com/commerce/default.asp?PAGE=Main

I got an extra pmd from the dealer then used the remote kit from Peter Hipson (the pmdcooler link above) purchased through bluehummer.com . A few hundred for the pmd, 20 for the resistor, $130 for the kit. You don't need a fancy kit. Where are you located? I'm sure there are other owners in your vicinity that have done this that could help you out (don't go to the dealer).

Old 04-16-2008, 12:30 PM

Thank you ronb and magnumoffroad for your help!

I feel so much more knowledged now about this situation and I used what you both told me as a starting point to do more research online.Hopefully, I can get my H1 fixed soon.

I have another question: I was calling around the local Stanadyne dealers in my area and one of them told me that they carry an even newer Stanadyne PMD (part 35976). They claimed that the 34583 is the old one. From the flashoffroad article, the 34583 is the newest third generation PMD. Does anyone knowanything aboutthis "newer" 35976 PMD and should I get it instead of trying to find another 34583 PMD?

Again, thanks for your advice!

Old 04-17-2008, 01:05 AM

I bet Mike at Magnum will know, if not then Mike Sabrese at Tustin Hummer in So Cal is just about the most knowledgeable guy on hummers period. If stanadyne says it's cool, then I'm sure it'll be great -- it's their pump in our trucks. Good luck

rb

Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Kimberly,
If you havent purchased a PMD yet here is a little more info about ours, also remember as a Hummer Forum Member you get a discount with all Predator Products. Retail is $630 your price would be $535.50 + Shipping. Let us know if we can help.

760-734-1749

RapCool PMD Isolator system
The RapCool PMD Isolator system was created to end the drivability / reliability issues associated with the factory, injection pump-mount location of the PMD (Pump Mounted Driver).To end these various drivability and reliability problems, our PMD Isolator system remotely mounts the PMD completely outside the engine compartment and away from engine heat and vibration and is incorporated into a high performance heat sink.
The RapCool PMD Isolator system features a new, Stanodyne PMD, which is treated to a mount-face resurfacing and transistor- fastener re-torque prior to its assembly onto the Isolator plate. Assembly to the Isolator plate is made using a special epoxy along with the 4 mount screws. This process assures a thorough transfer of heat from the PMD and into the Isolator plate/Heat Sink, to provide long service life. The Stanodyne # 7 fuel calibration resistor is used in this upgrade and is provided as a part of the assembly.
The RapCool PMD Isolator system is complete with a special length harness, all necessary mounting hardware and step-by-step installation instructions.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Predator Motorsports

Kimberly,
If you havent purchased a PMD yet here is a little more info about ours, also remember as a Hummer Forum Member you get a discount with all Predator Products. Retail is $630 your price would be $535.50 + Shipping. Let us know if we can help.

760-734-1749

RapCool PMD Isolator system
The RapCool PMD Isolator system was created to end the drivability / reliability issues associated with the factory, injection pump-mount location of the PMD (Pump Mounted Driver).To end these various drivability and reliability problems, our PMD Isolator system remotely mounts the PMD completely outside the engine compartment and away from engine heat and vibration and is incorporated into a high performance heat sink.
The RapCool PMD Isolator system features a new, Stanodyne PMD, which is treated to a mount-face resurfacing and transistor- fastener re-torque prior to its assembly onto the Isolator plate. Assembly to the Isolator plate is made using a special epoxy along with the 4 mount screws. This process assures a thorough transfer of heat from the PMD and into the Isolator plate/Heat Sink, to provide long service life. The Stanodyne # 7 fuel calibration resistor is used in this upgrade and is provided as a part of the assembly.
The RapCool PMD Isolator system is complete with a special length harness, all necessary mounting hardware and step-by-step installation instructions.
how does your system "cool" the PMD as your "heat-sink" doesnt have any fins on it? As I recall, heat sinks are made efficient by surface area (fins), material, and environment.....

Old 04-30-2008, 07:53 PM

A heat sink can be made from any material that will allow for heat absorption. Having fins, holes, slots, groves, etc. or the lack there of does not necessarily qualify it to be a heat sink. Ultimately, if it will absorb heat and then shed it, it would be qualified to be called a heat sink.

The reason you probably are asking this question is that the commen item out there used on Chevy/GMC 6.5td trucks, is the less expensive "finned" heat sink which bolts onto the intake manifold or other location above the engine. This system works well for the chevy trucks, however, itwas not originally designed for our H1's. The Chevy truck's cooling stack design allows for much more airflow above and around the engine, whichallows for this type of heat sink to work effectively.I wouldspeculate that the fins are necessary for the chevy truck to allow it to cool properly in a hot under-hood environment. However, this is only speculation as our expertise is only on the H1.

Our heat sink is specifically designed for the H1 application. It's mass and heat absorption is oversized for its needs. Additionally the location is very important. By having it located in the upper fender well, we are out of the hot engine environment allowing for it to operate at a very low temperature.

Hope this helps clear any questions.

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM

ok... your design is what I thought.... but honestly I wasn't basing my question on any previouly viewed components, as I have only payed attention to those that are to be used on the Hummer.... Rather, when I went through Heat Transfer class in school our designs were all relative to the surface area / fin design which is critical in making a good efficient heat sink.... personally, I believe the pump mounted position is the best position for these as the folks who designed it have spent more time analyzing this then we have and have never once come back to change their location, rather.... they changed their design of the PMD as of Feb 2006 with the serial number starting at 700,000 as I recall....

Old 05-02-2008, 12:44 PM

I was talking with a friend from AMG several years ago about the items he personally carries when offroading. He said he carries a spare kit of three half shafts (to cover each size) as well as a PMD and a fuel Pump.

If your comfortable with the stock location of the PMD then keep it there. I would at the very least, recomend that you carry a spare pmd when it fails.

Quick Reply: Replacing the PMD--Advice please!