PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new wheels and ctis dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 05:01 PM
Default new wheels and ctis dilemma

I currently have 39.5 iroks on 16.5 wheels. What are my options for larger rims?
All I can find is dick cepek $500 hummer wheels that I would have to buy a $700 kit for the ctis.

Can I buy any rim I want that supports the weight of the hummer and all I need to do is lengthen the CTIS line so it goes from the center of the wheel to the tire air stem? Or is there an issue with the CTIS not being able to be screwed into the center of the wheel if it isn't a hummer only wheel. I can't find any info on this.

Thanks
PJ

Old 04-20-2016, 08:57 PM

The cepek wheels are about as good as their $2000 shocks. If you are driving on road only go with a one piece wheel- no beedlocks. If the truck goes and plays offroad you should go with a 2 piece wheel with a run flat-beed lock or a beed lock insert(not a runflat). The stock 24 bolt 17" hutchinson wheels are nice if you can afford it. The tire selection for a 17" rim is way bigger. The tire selection for 16.5 is limited.
Whatever you do dont buy the 8 bolt two piece steelies (16.5" steel rims)- they are dangerous and the military and DOT band them 20 years ago. If you have 16.5" rims make sure there the 24 bolt ones. The 8 and 12 bolt are junk and out of round. The wheel offset can be wrong with just any old rims. Just look inside the wheel at how close the top control arm is to the rim.
Dont even think about buying the Unicure tires!!!! I threw a "new" set of them away for a customer after driving to get balance and found out that they are about as round as a egg. After installing and removing the runflats and installing them in a set of goodyears the truck now can drive without shaking your teeth out. Unicure are a recap- a used tire with a new tread. These are the black alligators you see on the freeway from all the 18 wheelers. Recaps are illegal on all passenger vehicles but some blue ***** part vendors still sell them like they are new tires.

Old 04-21-2016, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

Lots of sets of one piece 17" aluminum H1 wheels come up for sale on CL, eBay, etc. they are considerably cheaper than new Cepek or two piece Hutchinson wheels. Not just any wheel will work with your CTIS system.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:30 PM

I know this is a bit old, but what's the best CTIS setup to use with 17" aftermarket wheels. Planning to maybe get some Method 311 wheels and I'm Ssuming that I'll need a setup with a 45 adapter to the valve and a quick disconnect with a shutoff at the hub.