PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New thoughts on performance upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks, Cornercarver!
I just changed out my air filter, so I'm probably not going to address that till the future. Speaking of tires, I'm still searching for a GSA to replace one that has severe cupping. I may have a seller that has a few decent used Goodyear MT/Rs available. I'll be able to see them this weekend when I go to the OKC area. Any thoughts on compatibility running one or two of those with my GSAs?

Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by djadds
Thanks, Cornercarver!
I just changed out my air filter, so I'm probably not going to address that till the future. Speaking of tires, I'm still searching for a GSA to replace one that has severe cupping. I may have a seller that has a few decent used Goodyear MT/Rs available. I'll be able to see them this weekend when I go to the OKC area. Any thoughts on compatibility running one or two of those with my GSAs?
DO NOT DO THIS!!! The MT/R's even have this written on them. You can't mix the Wrangler M/T with the MT/R, you'll blow the t case and maybe even a diff. The only Govy tires that can be mixed are the MT/R and the Baja T/A. You have to run either all M/T OZ's Bias M/T or the MT/R, Baja T/A , wasn't yelling at the beginning just stressing that this idea is a big no no

Old 10-24-2012, 05:29 AM

Thanks, Cornercarver!
My tech expressed some concern about just that, but didn't know exactly which tires could be run that way. Looks like I'll go with plan A.
Just in case, are there any tires that can be safely run with GSAs?

Old 10-25-2012, 10:39 AM

OK, gentlemen,

Now the 'plot thickens'!
I ran this dilemma by a well-respected H1/off-road authority and products supplier (he will remain anonymous, as I have not asked his permission to quote him). He did do some research with AM General; here's a quote from him:

"Dan:

I heard back from AMG and they now say only this
basic bit of info, which to me says any 37/12.50R-17 tire
is OK with them as long as it has that size on it.

Here's what they said -

"Equal too in size only"

Sooooo, looks like you're OK per AM General !! "

Bottom line, all things being equal, the issue according to him and AM General was CIRCUMFERENCE. If there's not a significant discrepancy (AM General has specs for that), you're OK.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:44 PM

My 97 open top runs well with a KN filter and open exhaust. The computer from Predator is junk.
When it dies, and it will, I will cruise the serene banks of the Shenandoah with a Cummins under my hood.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:33 PM

I put the Predator HP kit on my 6.5T and noticed not one iota increase in power.
Cummins here I come.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:42 AM

hi, just another opinion. We spent years and a bundle of time and money trying to develop real horsepower out of the 6.5NA and 6.5TD with small improvements. During all of this time we were learning how to drive this #8000 brick ever so much quicker with not really anymore power but being able to stay on the gas longer and off the break more (actually the best way to go faster) learning how not to tear the truck apart. When we got our first Alpha-ahh now we're talking power, we had catepillar working on engine development and they could give us pretty much what ever we asked for but with the anticipated concominant problems with exceeding our abilities to keep things cool.(a constant battle with the increased horsepower) The other thing that initially we didn't take into account was, the frames and suspension parts that had been very long lived and relatively problem free suddenly began to disintegrate over less than one race (not a great way of prolonging our record of finishing every race). So I would suggest that the H1 is the most outstanding off=road truck ever built and with a modicum of knowledge will preform well and needs a moderate amount of maintence which will depend on how "stupid"you want to drive it. But it will always be the #8000 brick and if you think pumping a bunch of horsepower into it will change that you will find that it will become a bottomless pit to absorb your fun, time and money, I loved what I think it was 3hummers said-just enjoy the extra time you get to spend in it-he gets it.

Old 05-14-2013, 12:38 PM
Smile

Originally Posted by cort365
hi, just another opinion. We spent years and a bundle of time and money trying to develop real horsepower out of the 6.5NA and 6.5TD with small improvements. During all of this time we were learning how to drive this #8000 brick ever so much quicker with not really anymore power but being able to stay on the gas longer and off the break more (actually the best way to go faster) learning how not to tear the truck apart. When we got our first Alpha-ahh now we're talking power, we had catepillar working on engine development and they could give us pretty much what ever we asked for but with the anticipated concominant problems with exceeding our abilities to keep things cool.(a constant battle with the increased horsepower) The other thing that initially we didn't take into account was, the frames and suspension parts that had been very long lived and relatively problem free suddenly began to disintegrate over less than one race (not a great way of prolonging our record of finishing every race). So I would suggest that the H1 is the most outstanding off=road truck ever built and with a modicum of knowledge will preform well and needs a moderate amount of maintence which will depend on how "stupid"you want to drive it. But it will always be the #8000 brick and if you think pumping a bunch of horsepower into it will change that you will find that it will become a bottomless pit to absorb your fun, time and money, I loved what I think it was 3hummers said-just enjoy the extra time you get to spend in it-he gets it.
Excellent insight on the 'challenges' associated with trying to tweak the performance.

I'm hearing a recurring theme; i.e., that when you venture from 'stock', reliability is at risk. I'm not getting in a big hurry to do anything that puts reliability in question. I'm pretty occupied at this point of the learning curve, just getting to know the H1 and understand reliability.
I don't intend to do any racing, just some off-road fun, everyday driving, towing a boat, etc.

3hummers has been very helpful in sharing his sage advice. Fortunately for me, 3hummer's brother is in my area. We've conversed a few times, did some off-loading, and even had a 'bonding' and learning experience helping another forum member install a t-case last weekend. His sentiments are similar.

I'll be treading lightly...

Old 05-14-2013, 12:49 PM
Smile Performance, etc.

Originally Posted by cort365
Excellent insight on the 'challenges' associated with trying to tweak the performance.

I'm hearing a recurring theme; i.e., that when you venture from 'stock', reliability is at risk. I'm not getting in a big hurry to do anything that puts reliability in question. I'm pretty occupied at this point of the learning curve, just getting to know the H1 and understand reliability.
I don't intend to do any racing, just some off-road fun, everyday driving, towing a boat, etc.

3hummers has been very helpful in sharing his sage advice. Fortunately for me, 3hummer's brother is in my area. We've conversed a few times, did some off-loading, and even had a 'bonding' and learning experience helping another forum member install a t-case last weekend. His sentiments are similar.

I'll be treading lightly...

Old 05-15-2013, 02:07 AM

hi, you are a wise person and to me seem to proceeding down the correct trail to continue to appreciate what it is that has caused H1's to be so revered by those that actually use them rather than seeking the head turn that they also were so guilty of. Nothing mass produced will be perfect for an individual's wishes but the H1 was brilliant and with few exceptions, the unintended consequences on modifying make one wise to think very hard before proceeding. look forward to seeing you on the trail.

Quick Reply: New thoughts on performance upgrades