PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

My 1WD Hummer H1

Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Default My 1WD Hummer H1

This is embarrassing to post...but hell we are family anyway! I have a 1996 gas engine H1. I know the gas engines do not have as much torque as the diesel engines....however shouldn't it be able to climb I slight hill? I recently took my hummer to the hills of Malibu and was disappointed. It appears that my AWD Hummer H1 transfers all the power to the wheel that slips. Take a look at the vid and please give advice on a inexpense fix. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRaHw3MySSo

Thanks guys.

Update...I did not apply the brake and thottle at the same time. I hear this would have help. Will try again tomorrow.

Last edited by wordupmag; 03-05-2011 at 03:33 AM. Reason: update
Old 03-05-2011, 01:02 AM

wow looks like the locker is toast

Old 03-05-2011, 04:32 PM

Older H1's do not have lockers unless they were added. BTM and really I am surprised you would need to do that to get up that hill but I have never driven a gasser.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Probably just enough terrain to get a wheel or two into no or low traction conditions. Next time apply the brake firmly, slowly bring the RPMs up to 16-1800 RPMs. You should feel the truck start to move. Keep the RPMs steady and slowly release the brake just enough to let the truck crawl forward. That should solve your issue. Their are quite a few of us H1 owners in SoCal. You should go out with us sometime. You will be amazed what your truck will do.

Old 03-08-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
Probably just enough terrain to get a wheel or two into no or low traction conditions. Next time apply the brake firmly, slowly bring the RPMs up to 16-1800 RPMs. You should feel the truck start to move. Keep the RPMs steady and slowly release the brake just enough to let the truck crawl forward. That should solve your issue. Their are quite a few of us H1 owners in SoCal. You should go out with us sometime. You will be amazed what your truck will do.
Hello 3hummers,
Thanks for the post. I have tried that at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FYTv1XRpcg
I will be going to the hummer club event next month so I will get check out some more hummers.
thanks

Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Talking

I already posted some advice on your youtube vid!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO so we meet again lol

Old 03-10-2011, 12:03 AM
Super Moderator

The H1 Psycho Squad is hosting the THCI event. While I am a Psycho Squad member I will be in Moab the week of that event. Scott Callahan will be there and like me, BTM's his truck exclusively. If you were doing it right you would have no issue. Scott will have you climbing stuff you wouldn't believe in no time. Tell him David told you to ask for him.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

I assumed that you had the trnasfer case in 4Lo locked. BTMing doesn't really work unless you are in 4 lo lock.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
I assumed that you had the trnasfer case in 4Lo locked. BTMing doesn't really work unless you are in 4 lo lock.
Yes I had it in 4 Low Lock. I also tried in High Lock but would not make the hill.
Thanks

Old 03-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator

I see that you are talking with Scott ( dailydriver ) on another forum. many H1 owners have added lockers but Scott and I prefer to BTM the trucks. He will have you driving your truck the way it was meant to be driven in no time. I am not sure if I will be at the Psycho Ranch this coming weekend or not. Are you planning on camping out the whole weekend or just coming up for the day?

Search this Thread