PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to upgrade to a 6.6 duramax engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 07:58 PM

Radical

To make the conversion from an old H1 6.2 to the cummins how much $ we looking at?

Last edited by JAMerolle; 05-15-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 PM

Infact I am looking for the 24 valve coversion highlighted here.....

Conversion:

The Cummins 6BT Turbo Diesel engine is regarded as one the strongest and most reliable diesel engines in existence. Many HMMWV and Hummer owners have long stated that this is the engine that should have been installed in the vehicle from the factory. With so many engines having consistently logged over a million miles, it is a true testament to the legacy the Cummins engine has built. Now the Cummins Diesel Conversion is available for all HMMWV and H1 Hummer models. The basic conversion includes a full retrofit to the Cummins 6BT Engine utilizing the stock 4L80 or Turbo 400 transmission. If your application includes the 3 speed Turbo 400 Transmission, you have the option of upgrading to the 4 speed 4L80 transmission. Additionally, all models have the option of upgrading to the Allison 5 speed or Allison 6 speed transmission. The basic conversion is completed in 10 business days. The first 5 days are composed of the mechanical conversion to the Cummins with the last 5 days consisting of full testing including both on our computer as well as on the road testing to ensure a 100% thorough conversion. Each conversion is available in several Cummins Diesel models including all 12-Valve and 24-Valve 6-BT Engines.

Engine:

The Cummins 6BT Turbo Diesel Engine is available in several different models including a 12-Valve and 24-Valve configuration. The 12-Valve model is regarded as a much more basic engine which many people prefer due to its simplicity. The 24-Valve is a newer model engine that offers an increase in performance over the 12-Valve in the stock configuration. Both the 12V and 24V engines can easily build well over 750hp with several in the 1000+hp range. Both engines are extremely reliable and strong and can easily handle over 500hp and 1000ft-lbs of torque in an every day driver application. The engine is a 5.9 Liter in-line 6 cylinder Turbo Diesel Engine. The stock hp ranges from 220hp -330hp with many inexpensive bolt on performance upgrades. The engine is originally equipped with an intercooler which we include as a standard item in the conversion. The intercooler is a massive aluminum design with approximately the same thermal dissipation as the stock intercooler designed for the Cummins Engine.

Drive Train:

The remaining drive train can be fully reused which gives the end user the ability to simply purchase the Cummins Conversion without the expense of replacing the reliable stock transmission and transfer case. The advantage of the Predator Cummins Conversion is that you are not limited to simply an engine upgrade. At the time of the conversion, or in the future, you have the ability of upgrading the either the 4L80 4-Speed Transmission or the Allison 5-Speed or Allison 6-Speed Transmission. All three transmissions are available in the stock configuration or can be further “Bullet-Proofed” by upgrading to our HD Transmission package. The HD transmission upgrade allows the transmission to handle up to 1000hp. The stock transfer-case is regarded as a very strong and reliable T-Case however we also offer a Predator 2wd upgrade to this transfer case. The new Predator 2wd Transfer-Case increases the vehicles ability by adding a 2wd mode to the drive train. The 2wd selection is very useful for increasing range by increasing fuel economy by up to 30%.

Transparent Technology:

The Predator Cummins Conversion includes all factory data reading, info logs, check engine lights and DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) through the OBDII Data Port. This ensures full transparence through all of the functions of the engine which aids in trouble shooting if the need arises. Additionally this “Transparent Technology” allows virtually any competent technician to diagnose repair and service your vehicle.

Performance:

12-Valve Stock- 220hp

24-Valve Stock-

24-Valve Common Rail Stock-

Fuel Economy increase, on average, of 38%.

Reliability:

With the reliability of the Cummins engine, it is a clear choice as a replacement engine to the GM 6.2L/6.5L series of engines. The conversion price is comparable to the price of a replacement 6.2L, 6.5L or 6.5Turbo engine which after converted will increase the reliability, performance, range and fuel economy. With a typical service life of over 500,000 miles before rebuilding, compared to the 6.5T service life of less then 100,000 miles which typically results in a non repairable replacement, the Cummins is a clear leader.

Options:

High Flow Reusable Air Filter

85hp Injectors

120hp Injectors

240hp Injectors

145hp RapTorq Computer Upgrade

42mm Turbo

Twin Turbo Kit

HD Stage 1 Transmission upgrade (up to 600hp)

HD Stage 2 Transmission upgrade (up to 1000hp)

2wd Transfer Case

Bio-Diesel Fuel Line Kit

High Flow Fuel Pump

Duel Fueler CP3 Pump

½” Fuel Line Kit (stock is 3/8”)

½” Fuel Line Kit Bio Diesel (stock is 3/8”)

12,100lb Half Shaft Kit

Old 05-16-2010, 03:10 AM

Depending on options and such a swap could be anywhere from 30 g and up the last one we did was pretty spendy as the guy wanted huge power and to use a allison trans ..but it can be done on the cheap as well all depends on what you want if you want give me a call at the shop and we can go over a few options ..my number is (604)575-7620 my name is
Bill

Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM

Hey guys -

Good thread. I'll contribute our perspective from Peninsular Engines.

If you want a 6.5L turbo diesel, you can get an engine from us for around 9-10 k (Depending on options). We can also post an installed price around 20 k. This is in an H1 with the necessary modifications to fit the rear turbo. This engine will get you 300 HP and 500 ft lb torque at the flywheel. Also, you can mate this engine to either the GM 4L-80/85 tranny or the Allison with confidence. If you'd like to see pictures of our 6.5 in the middle of an H1 repower, check out the photo gallery on our website at
http://www.peninsulardiesel.com/WP-PENTEST/?page_id=22.

There are certainly performance parts available for the 6.5L. In addition to Peninsular, you can find parts at Heath Diesel and others. As far as durability and performance, the 6.5L has been a workhorse for a long time and in a lot of applications. We've got 6.5L marine engines that have ridiculous amounts of hours on them. What's more, this is the engine the Hummer H1 was designed around.

As always, if you need more information, give us a yell at 616-530-1298 or at Sales@PeninsularDiesel.com

Bert DeVries
Peninsular Engines

Old 05-18-2010, 08:16 PM

Bill are you still working on those estimates for me ?

Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM

I sent you a quick one yesterday I am getting some prices togethor for you with a few options do you want to use a fresh rebuilt motor or a used engine ? and do you want to go to a allison trans or stick with the 4l80 and again do you want us to build you a fresh tranny or used ok ?

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 PM

depends i need pros and cons , although on first thought I like a new engine , i would like to take a looking at a 24 valve rebuilt as well

Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 PM

Bert
"300 HP and 500 ft lb torque" the 2006 H1s offer this much power and torque right? I was looking for an upgrade

Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 AM

Bill where did you send it ? I have not got anything yet

Old 05-20-2010, 06:28 PM

I sent it to the email you gave me in the P.M

Quick Reply: How much to upgrade to a 6.6 duramax engine