PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much to upgrade to a 6.6 duramax engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Default How much to upgrade to a 6.6 duramax engine

If I buy an H1 hummer how much will it cost me to upgrade the engine to the 6.6 duramax engine , so I am looking for someone to take out the old engine and put the 6.6 upgrade in. If this is possible who can make this happen for me. Any thoughts would be great

Last edited by JAMerolle; 04-11-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Predator, Magnum Offroad, Tustin Hummer, etc can do the conversion. There are other good ones and lots of people to stay away from. The prices I am hearing is between $25-30,000.00 for the swap. Cummins are cheaper. To make the swap, you get the Duramax, Allison tranny, 2" lift, 12,100 half shafts, etc

Old 04-13-2010, 09:10 PM

wow , anyone close to NY?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 AM

Go with the cummins ..we are just finishing doing a 24 valve conversion right now with a allison trans ..way better in my opinion

Old 04-27-2010, 10:27 PM
Super Moderator

The Cummins are bulletproof but a lot louder. I know there are some people on the East Coast that do it but I don't know who they are. Might check with NEHOG. ( New England Hummer Owners Group). Manny or Peter could probably direct you to the right shop.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Peninsular can do a conversion for much cheaper than what I've seen posted so far in this thread. It's a 6.5L diesel (not a duramax) See our Hummer engine page on our web site for options. We're in the West Michigan area.

There are some mods that will need to be made to the engine housing on the interior of the H1 to accommodate the rear turbo design of the engine. Cummins isn't a great choice because the length of the engine is even longer than ours. We've done this conversion before (including the glass work on the interior) and we've had great luck with it. We might even provide a reference or two if you like.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:24 AM

The cummins fits like a glove ..the length isnt really an issue its a little close at the rear but no issues the only thing is you do need to do a body lift ..I have driven h1s with both the cummins and the duramax and there is no comparison in my opinion ...

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 PM

can you give prices please

Thank you

Joseph

Old 05-14-2010, 11:23 AM

Peninsular , can you please give me some pricing

Radical , can you please tell me why one is better then the other , thank you

Last edited by JAMerolle; 05-14-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:19 PM

I have found the cummins to be easier to get performance parts for and make more power with reiliabality.... the one thing with a cummins that has ford and gm beat all to hell on is the fact the cummins is a industrial based engine that was designed to work hard in a comercial aplication it was adapted to use in a light duty aplication ..where as the powerstrokes and duramax engines where designed solely to be used in light duty aplications just look at a picture of the three conecting rods and youll see the differance ..dont get me wrong they are all decent engines I personaly drive a f350 with a powerstroke in it ...but when the stroke dies I am going to throw in a cummins

Attached Thumbnails How much to upgrade to a 6.6 duramax engine-dieselrods.jpg  

Quick Reply: How much to upgrade to a 6.6 duramax engine