PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 - 12 Valve Cummins Swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 07:19 PM

nice... More Pics please!

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by fsr7
Hello-
I'm in the planning stageof the Cummins swap I'm going to start in my h1... hopefully sooner than later. I plan to pull the motor/tranny/Tcase out of the H1, do the 3" body lift, get the motor all cleaned and sealed, and see how poorly it fits. If it looks like I can get it in there in the same place that the 6.2 sits and still have access to work on the IP, I may build mounts to put it there. However,it looks likethe height and length of the cummins is going to make it a tight squeeze at best, and probably make certain things I need access to on the motor inaccessable. If that is the case, I may design some kind of lift kit - probably around 6" - that will lower the center section of the axle assembly. This way, I could move the motor further forward than the 6.2 sits, and stand the radiator more upright than oem position. I also plan to get an intercooler in there somewhere... as if I didn't have not enough room to deal with already. I plan on using the nv4500 and dodge tcase behind it, so where the transmission ends up sitting doesn't really concern me... the linkage is going to be a nightmare regardless. Keep in mind that this swap is to make this truck move... I am not trying to retain the "integrity" of the hummer - I.E., I will modify the frame and or firewall if necessary. A couple of concerns - Because of the gear reduction at each tire in the hummer, the cv axles spin backwards. Is this converted from the drivetrain in the differentials, or in the T-case? It would not be fun to put a dodge drivetrain in and have 5 reverse gears. Also, is there anything in the front end going to be compromised from the fact that I will be able to run in 2wd now? I have only found one H1 with a 6bt swap online, and there was very little information - I believe the motor was mostly stock, and married to the stock hummer tranny. I know that I am rambling on, but... I would just like to hear anyone's ideas on this project and/or further knowledge of the hummer that I have not yet considered. Look forward to hearing from you!

Cool project! Love these type of swaps! Nice to see some older iron modded and put back into service. Let me know how it goes.

Last edited by atashashane; 08-23-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 PM

KSE - you get that thing back yet? I'd love to know how you feel about driving that after the conversion. Also, what year is that Hummer?

As far as my experiences, having had the Cummins in my 1992 for about a year and a half now - the truck is amazing with the powerhouse drivetrain in it. However, the rest of the Hummer has done a poor job of keeping up with the horsepower. I have sheered halfshaft bolts, twisted upper A-arms apart, broken 2 spindle shafts (large tire flying down highway alone), broken halfshafts, split a 500hp clutch disk into multiple pieces, and literaly blown a caliper off of the truck. And my 12-valve is only kinda modded - its probably around 350hp now, which is about 200 less than what I hope to run it at. Most of these parts were upgraded in the later model years, and at this point I have all of these upgrades that I know about under my truck. Hopefully I have worked through the weak points, but only time will tell - I built my big fast truck to drive it, so if there is a weak point my lead foot will find it.

None of this should discourage anyone from this swap - This truck is amazing with the Cummins. With the quad coil suspension it stands up like a monster truck when I get on it - if you think you are turning heads now, get a Cummins. I get the same fuel economy I did before the swap with twice the power. With the manual 5speed I top out right around 75mph compared to 65mph with the 6.2 th400 drivetrain. With the selectable 4wd Tcase I can drift a truck that is wider than a semi on dry pavement. There is not one thing about this conversion that I would go back on - when it is running. If I was paying someone else to fix it every time it has broken something that's stranded me, I don't know if I would be as enthusiastic.

I'll try to get a few more pics up soon - I haven't been around much since the swap has been done, but if anyone has any specific Q's or want more info on details post it - I'll be around.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:22 PM

2nd that on the "more pics" lol