PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Geared Hubs

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Default Geared Hubs

Hey guys,
I just changed my oil in the geared hubs of my 96 TD wagon. Anyway I just wanted to post this in case anyone else was about to do this and ran into the same problems I did. My drain plug was frozen in. So for the first hub I ended up taking the large plate held on with 8 bolts off. This allowed me to drain the fluid. I then reinstalled it and added my lucas hub oil. I had a very slow leak out of the bottom of it so than i had to redrain it clean all the surfaces and apply a liquid gasket. This worked but was somewhat time consuming. For the other ones I got a large syringe from tractor supply and a rubber hose. I was able to suck all of it out very quickly and easily. While this may not be as effective as draining from the drain hole I think it is nearly as good especially if your plugs are frozen or stripped. Each hub is supposed to take roughly a half quart and I got almost a half quart out with the syringe method. I also used this same principle to change out the power steering fluid the old owner had in there with lucas power steering fluid. This syringe method may be a common practice, but I have never used it before and it made it much easier for me so i figured I'd share with the forum. Hopefully this helps someone out.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:45 AM

This is a quick and easy method. But next time I would pour in a bit of fresh fluid anfter the first time and let it settle then suck it out before filling it up sealing. This will help stir up and junk that was left in the bottm and allow u to suck it up and get as much out of there as possible. Good tip though! I'm sure there are plenty of others out there with the same problem.