PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear selection

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 07:35 AM
Default Gear selection

I just bought a new H1 without an owners manual can someone tell me what gear of the 4x4 I should be in for highway driving H or HL?

Old 10-24-2017, 10:41 PM

H (high or all wheel drive) is the only gear you should be in when on road or you will do damage to the Tcase and or the diff's ! When the Tcase is in L ( low lock) or HL (high lock) the front and rear output speeds are the same, this is good offroad for traction. When a vehicle makes a turn the front wheels make a bigger turning radius therefor move faster than the rear wheels. If the Tcase is in either lock position and you turn on the pavement you will get a poping and or tire slip cherping noise- this is bad. If you continue to drive around in lock then you will end up completely trashing your differental inside the Tcase. Most of the time this happens when you let the girlfriend drive the truck and when she goes to put it in park grabs the closest shifter lever and moves it forward unknowingly shifting the Tcase into HL. You should have a green light come on when in either lock position.