PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2000 Hummer 1 wagon oil filter replacement suggestions

Old 05-29-2017, 10:40 PM
Post 2000 Hummer 1 wagon oil filter replacement suggestions

Hi All,

I'm new to the Hummer community and I'm about to do my first oil change on my 2000 wagon, 6.5L TD. Can you all suggest a preferred oil and filter brand?

Thanks in advance

Old 05-31-2017, 07:22 PM

I use ac delco or wix filters. I would stay away from cheep filters or ones that come in a orange box ( they fall apart). Personally i like chevron delo 15/40 hd oil. I always use 2+ qt of Lucas HD oil stabilizer ( that stuff is great!). Make sure the oil filter adapter housing is not angled so the filter rubs on the oil cooler lines. If the oil filter adapter is leaking this would be the time to replace the seals, there is two small and one big orings and a copper crush washer. Also dont forget to check all the other fluid levels including the Tcase. Make sure the truck is on level ground when you check the T case oil level. If the Tcase oil is over full (you remove the fill plug on top and oil comes out) this is bad. That means the transmission oil is probably low. I only use the Lucas thick and tacky grease for everything.

Last edited by Ian Ward; 05-31-2017 at 07:23 PM. Reason: Fat fingering spelliing is par for the corse.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ian Ward
I use ac delco or wix filters. I would stay away from cheep filters or ones that come in a orange box ( they fall apart). Personally i like chevron delo 15/40 hd oil. I always use 2+ qt of Lucas HD oil stabilizer ( that stuff is great!). Make sure the oil filter adapter housing is not angled so the filter rubs on the oil cooler lines. If the oil filter adapter is leaking this would be the time to replace the seals, there is two small and one big orings and a copper crush washer. Also dont forget to check all the other fluid levels including the Tcase. Make sure the truck is on level ground when you check the T case oil level. If the Tcase oil is over full (you remove the fill plug on top and oil comes out) this is bad. That means the transmission oil is probably low. I only use the Lucas thick and tacky grease for everything.
Thanks so much for the great advice, Ian. I have changed all other fluids except engine oil. Glad to know about the orange case filter (LOL). I'll be sure to keep an eye on the transfer case fluid level, too. Thanks again for your help.