PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Image Posting Question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:45 PM
Default Image Posting Question...

I am trying to figure out how to link to some Smiley Icons on a site that hosts Smileys. Every time I put the link in the "Add Image" it shows up in my message, but once I post the message it is gone.

I noticed that several people have animated GIF's in their Avatar's and Signatures, but I can't figure out how to post them in a message. If anybody knows how to do this, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Testing...

[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 04-19-2007, 02:58 PM

Just testing some PGDcodes...

Old 04-19-2007, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 04-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Default RE: Image Posting Question...

ORIGINAL: Racerboy80

I am trying to figure out how to link to some Smiley Icons on a site that hosts Smileys. Every time I put the link in the "Add Image" it shows up in my message, but once I post the message it is gone.

I noticed that several people have animated GIF's in their Avatar's and Signatures, but I can't figure out how to post them in a message. If anybody knows how to do this, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.
Addiing images (smiley, photos, etc) is not too hard, but you need to keep some things in mind.

When trying to add an image, you need to know HOW you want to have the image appear in your post. If it is the actual image itself, and you use the upload option when posting, that image will be stored on the forum servers and will always be there. If you load it as a link, the image will appear only as long as the link is valid, so if the site where the image is currently goes down or is changed, then the image will disappear as the link is broken. Another thing to keep in mind is that some sites do not allow you to link to images from their site. Also, keep in mind that the only kind of images you can link to on the Hummer forums site are jpeg, gif, bmp, png files. I suspect you are trying to link to an image that is an ASP link. This will show up in the editing window, but disappears once the message is posted, as it is not an actual image.

It is probably best to create your own image library using a service like photobucket.com (it's free) where you can upload images you find on the net to this personaized site. You can then link to these images easily.

Old 04-19-2007, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

OR, he might not have replaced the \IMG tag with \IMAGE tag................

Old 04-19-2007, 05:51 PM

So, I copied the Smiley and put it in Photobucket and now I can link to it, however according to the site I have been looking at I should be able to link from their site and I still can't. It does have the \img tag in the link like HummerGuy mentioned. So, if either of you have time here is a link to the site.

http://smileygenerator.us/t/gen.php

If you have time maybe you could look at the code it generates and let me know if I can utilize the code or if it would just be easier to copy to Photobucket and use it from there.

Thanks again!

Old 04-19-2007, 06:19 PM

Those smileys look very similar to the ones which are already available on this site. [sm=hiya.gif]

I'd just make a sub-folder in your Photobucket account and call it Smileys. Then upload the link from that Photobucket image here. That's how I do it, and it works just fine. Name:  HummerH1animated2.gif
Views: 36
Size:  6.7 KB

Old 04-19-2007, 06:38 PM

ORIGINAL: Racerboy80

So, I copied the Smiley and put it in Photobucket and now I can link to it, however according to the site I have been looking at I should be able to link from their site and I still can't. It does have the \img tag in the link like HummerGuy mentioned. So, if either of you have time here is a link to the site.

http://smileygenerator.us/t/gen.php

If you have time maybe you could look at the code it generates and let me know if I can utilize the code or if it would just be easier to copy to Photobucket and use it from there.

Thanks again!
The "image you are trying to link to on that page is not really an image. It is part of a PHP script that generates the image based on the paramters passed to it. The Forum IMG function is not able to link to it that way. If, after creating the text you want to use, you right click on the smiely and save it on your computer as a GIF, then upload to photobucket and use the IMG link from there, you will be fine.

Old 04-19-2007, 07:20 PM

Sounds good...thanks for everbodies input!

Quick Reply: Image Posting Question...