PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Default Undercoating

Hey guys, now that this harsh winter is over I want to clean up the H3 and get rid of all that nasty salt. I was thinking of getting it undercoated this summer. Are there any special prep or tips you guys can offer before having it done? I'm a little worried what happens if you trap rust or salt under the undercoating.

Thanks,

Chad

Last edited by ChadB; 04-02-2014 at 01:00 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:06 AM

I would use Chassis Saver since I've heard good things about it. For the prep, just wire brush the loose rust then power wash the surface thoroughly. Using degreaser can help to really clean the area.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM

I use old motor oil thinned out to a semi transparent stain consistency. Slather it on and repeat next season.

JMHO your mileage may very.

Chris

Old 04-21-2014, 05:34 PM

If you get someone to do the undercoating, tell them to do the inside of the frame. They will rust from the inside out.

I used Purple Power yesterday to wash the underside. Put it on jack stands. About an hour to spray the soap using a garden sprayer, let sit about 30 minutes, about 3 hours of flushing it out with the hose. In my thinking, if you don't take at least this long, you are missing something. Flush every nook and cranny, inside of the frame very well. You will get soaked so just go with it.

I do like to clean the underside about once per year. I am going to undercoat.

Link to a do it yourself cleaner (I have not used this yet - may not since I live in the south.)
How to Neutralize Road Salt | eHow

Gun with hoses to do inside of frame. I already have one of these.
Undercoating Gun and 2 Hoses & Bottle

Undercoating by the quart
Eastwood Rubberized Rust Encapsulator Quart

Undercoating in a spray can with inside frame nozzles
Internal Frame Coating w/Spray Nozzle | Eastwood

I think 3M has undercoating stuff too. May be cheaper - don't know.

EDIT, To do a good job a lot of the plastic will need to be removed such as in the wheel wells, front and rear bumpers, etc. Also you may want to drop the gas tank and other misc parts to get it better. If you ask an undercoating company to do this it will be very expensive.

Last edited by fnfal308; 04-21-2014 at 05:42 PM.