PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Technical Repair Manuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Default Technical Repair Manuals

Haven't seen much technical & or repair manuals or information & or any DIY repair info from from anybody here, seems like most (as do I) take it in to Hummer and let them do the work.. HOWEVER, My H2 warranty has expired over a year ago, no extension, BUT, I have paid to do some "major" repairs/maintenance work at my dealer when ever needed, BUT at 42,500 miles mark,"little " things are starting to crap out, work 'intermittenly', or just plum smell. Example: 1- wipers fail only "when it rains" or works only on fast speed, but to stop the wiper you gotta shut down the engine, (once started they won't stop). "No rain" works fine. 2- Did the axle maintenance late last year, in the process they said "you have oil leaks on the front axle seals", no problem fix it, $1,000. [sm=alcoholic.gif]Found oil leaks around the front axle area this week. [sm=badbadbad.gif]Can smell the burning oil hitting the exhaust pipe or manifold, or where ever it TF its hitting a hot pipe.. Finally, this week, hitting the FOB, does not lock the 2 back doors or the rear door, fronts ok, but no back doors (also intermittently started).. Anyway I am taking it into hummer tomorrow, but ah, I ain't a gonna pay 2-3 grand to fix these things..no way, H2 worth now maybe 30-35k.. Then what? Something else will crap out? nope nope ain't gonna do it..

BUTIma pretty handy dude with "hand tools". Here, at this sitethey sell the 2003 H2 service/repair manual, what I want to know is, are there any owners here that DIY? if so, did you buy the manual? IF so, did it help find your problem.. http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2...1SBL4SGR2CFWT7
Please only positive feedback wanted, educational or contributing info on this thread only, hopefully I (we) might be able to help another DIY guy (or gal)..with "correct information"...Thanks..
PS: I AM seriously considering shelling out the doe for this service manual..

Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Default RE: Technical Repair Manuals

Well I am not an H2 owner but an H1 owner... I have bought the workshop manual for my H1 also bought the Maintenance CD at bluehummer.com for my H1. I now do some of the simpler stuff myself, but since I live in canada and have a gravel driveway and no garage I can really only work on it during the snowless months...(well happily anyways) but let me tell you the workshop manual helps alot. Now I am not too sure just how many websites out there have tech support for the H2 but there are a couple for the H1 and made my life alot easier... Also make sure you get the right tools for the job.

Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM

Hi there,

These are the manuals that the technicians use to repair the vehicle. It will help you diagnose and repair everything in the vehicle. You may need to use the TECH II tool to get codes, but this is the real deal. I sell them for 134.95 shipped.

Thanks, Gene.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Don't know about the H2 manuals but I agree with Injun. The H1 repair and maint. manuals are worth their weight in gold.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:45 AM

i'm still under extended warranty, but the manuals have come in handy plenty of times. originally bought them so i could take the center console and dash out of the bus without destroying anything. i'm sure they'll come in handy when my warranty expires in 13k miles. i'd recommend getting them. they're huge, the size of 2 phone books.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:43 AM

OK, THANKS!! for the reply gents, it is appreciated. Granted, it is only a hand few of you who replied, but it was definitely all I needed really to see that there are a few DIY here on site. I have decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on the service/main manuals. I know they are as big as telephone books, stacked 5+ inches thick, but hey, thats good, means all info will be in them. Are part numbers included in them? When I get the books I'll report on what I think of them. Yes, I also been told by my service adviser, that in some cases you need "special tools" to do the job correctly, also advisable so nothing is broken in any process you attempt.

Status of my H2: Took it into the shop last Wednesday. Currently at my Hummer dealer to repair the above problems. Diagnosis: Oil leak: "The oil is leaking from the front right axle yoke area, tech also recommends that you replace the U-joint with it, just in case the old one falls apart later on, don't want to take it apart again just for the U". Currently? Waiting on a yoke, none available, had to order one. Apparently our yokes have a seal also,initially the oilleaked on my driveway, then stopped, (only so much oil could leak, donno how much was left in the case) but it was not totally dry, then oil from theyoke areawas spraying all over down there when driving getting it on some hot exhaust pipes, thereby my "oil burning smell". Costs for repairs? Yoke=$220.62, U-joint $95.00 + Labor $420.00.

Windshield wipers won't shut off when raining: Update, when I took it in, the washer sprayer stopped functioning also, tech said, "pump is not getting power". Power comes from? You guessed it. Bottom line: Our hummers use a 2-part assembly for our wipers. The motor and a module (I'll assume they mean some type of control module). The washer gets its power from the motor, thereby all the failures are pointing to the motor. (logically, makes sense to me). Even tho the motor is a 2-part assembly, you have to replace them together, (again makes sense to me, what if you replace one and not the other and the problem returns?). Not sure, I'm still a little confused on the "can you just replace the motor only"? No matter, in my case they are doing both, I think it's all one assembly anyways, I'll find out when I talk to my adviser tomorrow again to check on status. Costs: motor & module $248.02 (I think he's made a mistake on that price) I'm sure they'll correct it, labor $360.00.

Finally on the door locking issues. Don't cha know it, and ain't it always this way, they worked when I wanted to show him. Would not fail.. Inter-mitten problem, ain't it a biacth.. So thats not even gonna be looked at, heck if I have to I can manually close the rear doors, hmmm, I'm gonna have to find out if there is a manual way to close the rear hatch however..hmm otherwise THAT will be a problem.. Thats it guys a blow by blow picture, I'll let ya ll know when I get my baby back if she's "feeling better"...[sm=lol.gif]I know one thing, my wallet is gonna feel a little lighter..[sm=laughat.gif]

Old 01-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

The H1 manuals do have part numbers with the diagrams. The only issue is that sometimes GM/Hummer update the part numbers. Not a big issue but with an 03 there might be some parts that have had minor changes to them and a new part number. Most of them time the techs will be able to cross reference but on my older H1 I have found the techs aren't as familiar with them and don't keep as current.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:49 PM

I am not sure with the H2's but I know with the H1's you have to buy the Workshop Manual(Repair Manual) and if you wanted the Part Manual you have to buy that seperate... But yea the hummer dealers repairs can stack up pretty good and become very pricey glad I found Phil. He does work at the fraction of the cost and I'd say he knows the H1 better than the local Hummer dealer does

Old 03-23-2011, 01:45 PM