PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Solid Axle Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
Default Solid Axle Swap

Yes, I did search the forum first and was unable to find an article. Don't flame me right away...

What axles are best for this job? I was thinking of getting a Jeep Dana 44 housing ($1,000) and having the differential relocated to the passenger side (shorten passenger side and lengthen drivers side). I figure it should not be more than $2,000 to have the housing fully built minus the internals (gears, shafts, u joints, etc...). I am trying to get the Jeep Dana 44 axle to work as it has plenty of aftermarket support ranging from high steer knuckles, ball joints, tie rods, drag links, chromoly shafts, brackets, etc... Plus its an easy trip to a junk yard to grab spare parts if needed (except shafts). We can go deeper into this axle if my thought is even feasible.

For front end suspension I would convert it to coil overs as it would be easiest (not cheapest). Simple hoop coming through fender with a bar going over the engine and attaching to the opposite side. Basically a fabrication similar to this kit. Now I don't personally own the Hummer H3 so I have no way of knowing whether or not this could be installed. I leave that to you guys!

Control arms would be Metalcloak Duroflex joints as they offer outstanding off road abilities and ride quality (34 degrees misalignment per joint). The arms would be setup in either a 3 link with track bar, standard four link, or triangulated four link (depending on mounting positions available).

As to the steering setup I don't really know what to do (I have never messed with IFS). If it uses the same style pitman arm as a solid axle setup (such as the Jeep JK) couldn't one simply install a slightly modified Jeep JK steering?

1) Use a custom pitman (if required)
2) Create custom mounts for track bar
3) Let the axle being used determine the tie rod and drag link.
4) Install custom Currie Anti-Rock Off Road sway bars

If the above would work on the Hummer H3 what about the steering box? Is it up the to the task of running 37" tires on and off road?

Okay, flame away please!

Old 11-25-2013, 10:38 PM

Why not just start with a Dana 44 with the passenger side drop to begin with?

If you have an H3 why not crawl under and look at the steering? No pitman arm.

Old 11-26-2013, 07:25 AM

I don't know of any axles that have the passenger side drop to begin with. I have heard that maybe some of the older D44 Chevrolet axles may work? Time to research this one further.

I do not currently own a H3, that is why I cannot answer a lot of my questions myself. I am currently debating between selling my 09 JKu and buying a Wrangler YJ (cash), Hummer H3 (loan), or just keeping the JKu and putting about $15,000 into it.