Hummer H2 For those who like a little more gleam to their Hummer, the H2 offers a similar rugged look as the H1, but as a lower cost, and with more added features, making it almost a massive luxury SUV.

rv towing

Old 04-11-2006, 10:26 AM
Default rv towing

I have a 2005 H2 SUT, hitch says towing capacity 7000, is there any way to add more towing capacity to my hummer for 29 ft rv?
All the RV I like the GVWR is more than my SUT can tow? Should I pay attition to the GVWR or dry weight?

Old 04-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Default RE: rv towing

On the H2 with your rv shortbus will be able to help you. Hope you don't get mad i refer you shortbus but you always help on questions.And if you do blame Dennis and you know dennis it a girl so warn her about him

Old 04-11-2006, 11:34 AM

The Tow capacity of a vehicle is the max it can handle safely without the towed vehicle taking control of the towing vehicle, i.e., during Braking, up hill, down hill, etc....So in this case, it is not advisable to exceed the towing capacity of the SUT, especially with an RV..It maybe be better and safer to tow the SUT behind the RV, depending on the RV's towing capacity...In either case the Highway troopers are pretty savy to these things and most certainly will cite you and put a halt to your travels.

BTW..Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) = a vehicle fully loaded with fuel and cargo + people.

Curb Weight = a vehicle dry and empty.

Just 2 cents from a womanizer....Age, marrital status and location please

Old 04-11-2006, 11:44 AM

i'd stay below the listed capacity. i tow a 21' RV that's usually close to 5k lbs with all our crap in it. hills can be a bear, but i can at least keep it at 55. if you're going to tow anything, i'd add a tranny cooler. the stock cooling system leaves a bit to be desired. and if you tow through OK, watch out for a pewter H3. if you spot it, just keep going . . . .

Old 04-11-2006, 01:30 PM

That's a; VERY clean H3 mind you...

Old 04-11-2006, 01:48 PM

the sparkle should make it easy to spot then.[sm=bling.gif]

Old 04-11-2006, 07:57 PM

Sorry, older (44), married, Illinois.
Towing, so I need to keep the camper ( sorry mis- worded it earlier) travel trailer (not RV) under total GVW, mine on the Hummer SUT is only 7000 pds.
That means all the travel trailers I look at are way to big and I need to keep it about a 21 ft. Bummer[&o]
Is there any way to increase towing capacity?

Old 04-11-2006, 09:16 PM

yer a spring chicken compared to Dennis, i'm pretty sure. and he's married too, just an e-flirt and most likely harmless.

as for towing capacity, the only way to increase it would be to get another vehicle. but if your max tow weight is 7k lbs, i'm surprised that you can't find a 26' camper that meets that weight. almost all are aluminum frames these days, which is lighter, so unless you're getting some exotic hardwood cabinetry inside, you should be able to find something that fits. even our 21' gives the bus a workout getting up some of the hills in the Sierra Nevadas.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:34 AM

ORIGINAL: scubagirl

Sorry, older (44), married, Illinois.
Towing, so I need to keep the camper ( sorry mis- worded it earlier) travel trailer (not RV) under total GVW, mine on the Hummer SUT is only 7000 pds.
That means all the travel trailers I look at are way to big and I need to keep it about a 21 ft. Bummer[&o]
Is there any way to increase towing capacity?
Never mind the kids..

I too am sorry that I'm older, that your married and I'm not from Illinois...[sm=imsorry.gif]...

Old 01-02-2021, 12:56 PM

Does it make a difference with the 6.2L and 6spd Automatic...all the online specs I saw dealt with the 6.0L and 4spd Auto

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: rv towing