PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

2007 Hummer H3 - Warranty Status

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Talking 2007 Hummer H3 - Warranty Status

Howdy all,

Just recently purchased an H3 at Sewell here in Plano, TX. Have a question that maybe someone can answer.

My vehicle purchase was used but still under Hummer's current warranty. Is there a way I can find out if the vehicle has any extended warranties or tire warranties etc that may have been purchased by the first user that I could take over?

If this helps anyone, I did find out that if you trade-in a vehicle that you purchased an extended manufacturer's warranty on, you can request a partial credit from the original manufacturer for the balance of the warranty, pro-rated of course. My original dealer requested proof of loan payoff and the odometer statement from the receiving dealer and will then request that the manufacturer cut me a check!

Thanks

Old 12-31-2009, 02:29 PM

Did you ask anyone at Sewell hummer? they should have the info.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:36 PM

I know that you can always purchase the GM extended warranty for different mileage/month depending upon what suits your driving best. They told me that it has to be purchased before the original warranty runs out. Mine ends at 50k so then I have to get it before that.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by marksteven
Did you ask anyone at Sewell hummer? they should have the info.
Hi Marksteven,

Thanks. I will ask them at my next service! I just didn't know if anyone else had gone through this before and had an exact way of finding out previous purchase info.

Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 2wheelmonster
I know that you can always purchase the GM extended warranty for different mileage/month depending upon what suits your driving best. They told me that it has to be purchased before the original warranty runs out. Mine ends at 50k so then I have to get it before that.
Thanks. Yes, they gave me the GMPP quotes and I think I will do it. I just wanted to try and find out if the original owner had already bought it or if they bought anything else. I guess there is a chance that one could pay for an extended warranty even though a previous owner could have purchased one also!

Old 01-01-2010, 11:34 PM

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure extended warranties are limited to the purchaser. That means once they sell it, any warranties they had purchased become invalid.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by H3DONIST
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure extended warranties are limited to the purchaser. That means once they sell it, any warranties they had purchased become invalid.
Actually, looks like it can be transferred as I found this (below) on GM's website. My issue is, is that I simply don't know if one was ever purchased. I am going to check with my dealer to see if this is something they would have knowledge of.
"What if I sell my vehicle before the GM Protection Plan expires?
Your contract can be transferred to the new owner upon sale of the vehicle or the remainder of the contract can be canceled. (An administrative fee may apply.) "

http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/faqs.html

Old 01-03-2010, 01:03 AM

Ok, so it can be transferred if there is one. Perhaps you can call GM and have them look up the VIN on your H3 to see if one was purchased.