Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/)
-   Hummer H2 (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/)
-   -   normal lifespan of a H2 transmission? 75k? 100k?+ (https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/hummer-h2-8/normal-lifespan-h2-transmission-75k-100k-17267/)

Dieter122 10-28-2009 12:48 PM

normal lifespan of a H2 transmission? 75k? 100k?+

when does the transmission on a H2 (2004) typically crap out?

75k? 100k?

from what ive read, looks like exactly that range 75-100k.

What kind of costs will I be looking at if I need it replaced/rebuilt?

Looking at a nice looking 2004, has 75k miles on it. Tempted, but dont want to get hit with a massive $6k bill if the tranny blows within the first month driving the thing.

Thanks guys.

edbrick 10-28-2009 02:15 PM

I hope you feel special. I joined this forum just to reply to your question.;) I was reading the other Hummer site and someone said that there is a person on e bay that sells refurbished GM transmissions and they swear buy him. If you do a search and cant find him let me know and i will try to post a link. The transmissions without core charge are one thousand dollars and less.

drtom 10-28-2009 10:26 PM

other hummer site,,,

i found another site and tried ENDLESSLY,,AND ACCURATLY to join but could NEVER satisfy their info screener process.

i know i did it right, OR, it is just not possible,,or is it???

tom

Dieter122 10-29-2009 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by edbrick (Post 211567)
I hope you feel special. I joined this forum just to reply to your question.;) I was reading the other Hummer site and someone said that there is a person on e bay that sells refurbished GM transmissions and they swear buy him. If you do a search and cant find him let me know and i will try to post a link. The transmissions without core charge are one thousand dollars and less.

ya i saw that too.

I saw the info about the guy with the H2 limo fleet too, he is at 100K plus miles on his trannys..

therobesons 11-11-2009 02:47 PM

Hummer Trany

I just bought a used 03 H2 with 13oK miles.

The trany was replaced at 105K

Bob

losthorn 12-03-2009 12:36 PM

136K and counting

My 04 has 136K and counting. I've changed the fluid and filters every 30K-40K. Mostly highway driving very little towing. Its starting to slip when its shifting into overdrive. In the past, a little slippage prompts a fluid change and things seem to improve.

Now that I've posted this, I expect I won't get out of the parking lot today.:)

Bayrat 12-03-2009 06:31 PM

Funny, first I have heard of these GM transmissions crapping out. Seems the media (consumer reports etc) always picked on Dodge for transmission issues.

Cmac04H2 08-14-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Dieter122 (Post 211563)
when does the transmission on a H2 (2004) typically crap out?

75k? 100k?

from what ive read, looks like exactly that range 75-100k.

What kind of costs will I be looking at if I need it replaced/rebuilt?

Looking at a nice looking 2004, has 75k miles on it. Tempted, but dont want to get hit with a massive $6k bill if the tranny blows within the first month driving the thing.

Thanks guys.

Hey, i know what u mean and are wondering about the transmission. I have an 04 H2 and replaced the transmission about 10 k miles ago when it was at around 115 k miles. The factory transmissions do have a bad rep. for going out and causing problems around the 100 k mark. The one i got put in wasnt the same one, its a newer more revised version that is supposvly stronger and more heavy duty and is just better all around. it cost just under 4 grand, 3980 i think to be exact. It feels really strong and smooth, dosent make much shifting noise eighter. My advice would not to get the original trans rebuilt but to go ahead and invest and get the newer , better one that will more than likley last the remainder of the truck, whick is as long as u want it too and take care of it in my opin. , but good luck man, and take care of that thing and itll be worth it, i love mine and there is no other car/truck on the road that compares to it, whether it be looks, value, capibility, power, reliablity and overall appeal.

Cmac04H2 08-14-2010 04:58 PM

your pretty lucky in my opinion to have gone 136 k miles on the orginal trans. I put a newer, stronger version of the transmission in mine about 10k miles ago, at 120k miles. They made a better transmission than the orginal one bc of the problems people were having around the 100k mark, and thats the one i have and would strongly recomend you get that one, its stronger, smoother and is guarenteed to be better than the orginal one. It cost me right at 4 grand for it , labor, tax and all. they say these motors will go nearly forever, ex. the 2500 hd trucks with the same 6 liter motor normally go upwards 250k -300k miles on the motor, Pulling and towing most of the time, but the transmission has always been the achielles heal of the H2. Id get it done soon before it causes smthin serious. Good luck

jmd_1113 10-08-2010 09:10 AM

ADviceeee Pleasseee

Sooo Need advice... Found a 2004 Hummer H2. It has 89k miles on it. Well taken care of and super nice. They are asking 19750.00. I am just worried about all the bad transmission talk that this transmission will go not long after I drive off the lot and from what I hear its very expensive to fix?????? Around how much????? Is this a good price for this Hummer? How many miles do these trucks usually last? I also heard they no longer make Hummer trucks so to get parts is very hard...Any advice will help. My email is jmd_1113@hotmail.com I have attached the link of the Hummer
http://www.grandautosales.com/invent...ice=-1&keyword=