PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 06 H3 using oil.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Question My 06 H3 using oil.

I wanted to ask this as I am almost out of warranty and I would like to have an idea what this problem could be when I take it into the dealer.
I bought used from a dealership and have driven about 2500 miles so far.(only as long as I have owned it so far) Total millage is about 47,224.
I am almost due for an oil change so decided to check the oil when I filled up with fuel. The oil is down on the dipstick to only about the quarter mark. This looks like a pretty bad sign to me. I have never had a newer vehicle use so much oil.
Any advise or ideas. I have not looked under the truck yet to see if there is any source of a leak. I do not smell burning oil or see any smoke. It actually runs very nice. Sometimes the idle goes really low and you think it is getting to stall speed but it never does.
Any help or advice on this would be very appreciated. I would like to not have to go into the dealer having no clue and getting fed a bull$hit line about this being normal
Thanks All.

Last edited by djezrock; 02-01-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:24 AM

I heard that some of the 2006 H3's had valve problems.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:15 PM

Hmmm.

I am no mechanic, thats for sure. I was hoping to get some ideas of the most likely cause of this so I could go into the dealer without an empty brain. I never smell any burning oil so I am asuming I have a seal leak maybe. I need to get under and have a look as the weather is finally getting better here.

Can anyone give some ideas?

Is there a Hummer board that I may be able to ask to get more information on this type of thing?

Thanks all

Old 02-03-2009, 07:48 PM

I heard that they had a valve problem also, but if your up for an oil change soon and you didn't check the oil level right away from the last oil change then maybe it wasn't filled all the way to begin with. Also from my past experience when I had a vehicle with low oil, I thought it meant it was burning it, but it still has to go somewhere, whether it is burning or going somewhere it shouldn't go.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

I agree, I bought mine used as well. The oil was mudd. not very well taken care of i think. Although I dont see consumption of oil. I might have missed something but when you bought the vehicle, did you check the oil and it was full? In this case there might be a bit of blow by with the valve seals or rings if no leaks. Reading other posts, was there a valve seal issue. This is a seal which keeps oil out of the combustion chamber on the valve side. The rings are doing their job on the piston side.

I suspect they might have changed the oil and didnt put enough oil back into the engine. That is if you didnt check when you purchased the vehicle. More than likely, no smoke , no leaks, just a bad oil change. I would change the oil and check at 500 miles. Just make sure you check the dipstick aftet the new change to make sure the stick is reading properly. Also during the oil change, if you can, check to see how much oil comes out. Maybe the appropriate oil in the engine and the dipstick may be bent or something. Just a thought.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:54 PM

Also try waiting a a few minutes for all of the oil to drain down from the engine. I've checked at the gas station and it always looks low... as a matter of fact, the stupid dip stick they use on the H3 is very hard to read regardless. If you put synthetic oil in, its even harder to read! Perhaps if you check it after cooling down, you'll show a normal amount. I read somewhere to at least wait 5 minutes.