PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a handheld GPS unit..suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:22 AM
Default Looking for a handheld GPS unit..suggestions?

I'm interested in a GPS unit like a garmin quest. I want to use for off-road trips and general directions to some HUMMER club events. Any suggestions for which unit to buy? I want to be able to save some waypoints. Also want to buy a CB Radio for the same off-road use..suggestions?

Old 02-16-2007, 10:50 AM
Default RE: Looking for a handheld GPS unit..suggestions?

My favorite is the Garmin 2820 Street pilot

EBAY

Old 02-16-2007, 11:04 AM

Garmin 276c. you can add memory cards with your waypoints and additional maps that have more off-road trail detail, external antenna, car charger with speaker to tell you when to turn. great for our runs

Old 02-17-2007, 11:15 PM

I researched various brands and models and ended up with a Garmin Nuvi which I use all the time and love. It isnt quite as rugged looking as the 276c tho.

Old 02-18-2007, 12:22 AM

ORIGINAL: LawWyfe

I researched various brands and models and ended up with a Garmin Nuvi which I use all the time and love. It isnt quite as rugged looking as the 276c tho.
Which NUVI model do you have Sarah?

Old 02-18-2007, 11:23 AM

Denny, I got the nuvi 360..of course these little gadgets are like computers and every time you turn around they have a new model out. [:@] Soon as I bought mine-they came out with the 660 but thats OKI got a heck of a deal on it by going to shopzilla.com (Comp-U-Plus)and I love it!

Old 02-18-2007, 11:49 AM

Does it talk to ya or do you have to keep prompting it to say anything?

Old 02-18-2007, 12:07 PM

Ohhh yeah...constantly...sometimes I wish it would shut up LOL. It also has several different voices to choose from (male, female, aussie accent male or female, etc) I decided after 2 clients had to navigate me to showings (I had even mapquested them) it would not happen again and with Nuvi..it's never failed me or embarrassed me yet! I also like the fact that I can just plug in the name of a place and it pops up as well as plugging in more generic info such as "restaurant" or "purse store." HAHAHA [sm=lol.gif]

Old 02-18-2007, 12:34 PM

Alright....I'm totally ignorant as to how these GPS units function. I'm a little old fashioned and I use maps for everything. First, is there a monthly service fee for using a GPS unit? How do they look mounted in your Hummers? Any pics?

Old 02-18-2007, 01:17 PM

Rdoggy, nope no service fees, etc. every so often you DL any latestupdate info off the computer. As far mounting, its a suction cup arm type mount that goes on windshield or dash or cupholder slot or whereever and you can take it off anytime. I don't leave my unit on the mount when not in use tho..I pull the unit itself off and toss in purse, under seat or console. They are great gadgets. As I said I got mine by surfing shopzilla.com and ended up getting it from Comp-U-Save for a couple hundred less than my local Target had it for.

Quick Reply: Looking for a handheld GPS unit..suggestions?