PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the Chinese move Hummer manufacturing to China....

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 06:32 PM
Default If the Chinese move Hummer manufacturing to China....

What would you do if the Chinese move the Hummer manufacturing plants to China? I have been doing lots of research on this subject and it looks like there is about a 50/50 chance of this actually happening. Everyone knows that if it does happen quality will suffer dramatically. If the Chinese government does approve the buyout I do not think they will allow the buyers to keep manufacturing in the United States.

After researching this I am beginning to hope the sale is not approved and another company (preferably American) swoops up the brand. I am not very fond of the possibility of an American icon being produced in communist China. As long as they are manufactured here I guess I can deal with it. But, if they move to China I will sell my Hummer and buy a different SUV.

What will you guys do if Hummer completely relocates to China?

Old 11-08-2009, 07:47 PM

I would not buy a chinese made Hummer, It would just make me appreciate my American made Hummer more if they moved production but I doubt they will move out of the USA. We should be glad that the chinese bought Hummer. It's better than going away like Pontiac and Saturn.

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Wink

If they moved production to China, I'm pretty sure my H3 would still be American made, so there's nothing to do I'd probably be less inclined to buy a new one when the time comes, but who knows?

Old 11-08-2009, 10:43 PM

I have my hummer. i couldnt care less. infact id rather hummer went down than go china. but meh. have mine. all that matters

Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 AM
Default China Inc.

It's nice to see folks agreeing. There is no way I would purchase any automobile that has a "Made in China" stamp on it. It's bad enough that so many of our goods we purchase every day are made there. And as I said before, China has no idea what the word "quality" means.

There is one other thing I am curious about. How did such a small equipment manufacturer get their hands on $150 million dollars to buy Hummer? This company has absolutely no experience in the consumer automotive industry. I am very suspicious as to why they purchased Hummer and if they had financial help from the Chinese government.

This whole thing is leaving me very skeptical as to how Hummer is going to successfully move forward and remain competitive. I would just feel much better if another company could step forward and save Hummer. The new (possible) owners of the Hummer brand may have good intentions. But the Chinese government always has the final say and that has a very real possibiltity of dooming the brand and more American jobs.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

This has been debated to death. Some people would care, some wouldn't. Personally I prefer that the brand survive, that parts, service, aftermarket accessories, etc remain reasonably available and priced. Half the people I know removed the GM chicklet from their trucks because of how badly GM screwed up the brand anyway so what is worse? People will vote with their checkbooks when the time comes.