PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H3t i5 vs H3 5.3 v8

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2019, 06:41 PM
Default H3t i5 vs H3 5.3 v8

So I recently got rid of a 2006 h3 i5 hummer. I owned it for 5 years but had to get my cylinder heads fixed multiple times and had an abundance of random issues. It was quite frustrating because my mechanic at the time after the project said he could of just put a new engine in their for around the same price.
Anyway, I'm currently looking into a 2010 H3t Lux package. It's located close to my house with 110k miles on it. I'm also looking into a 2009 Alpha h3. 130k miles. Which one will be more reliable long term? I know the rarity of these vehicles, and trying to find one that's in decent condition isn't easy. I currently live in
Seattle and will be trading in a 2018 Camry. Also side not never go from a H3 to a camry..... Gas mileage is great, but damn do I get bullied on the road right now lol.

H3T Lux Package 2010 VS 2009 h3 Alpha

Old 03-28-2019, 08:03 AM
Default lol

there is no replacement for displacement. words from a great man

Old 03-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Any of the H3Ts will or should cost more than a comparable H3 due to rarity. Depends upon what you need to do with it? Personally, I would not do either w/o the OffRoad pkg, but that is based upon what I want to do with them, not necessarily what you are looking for.

2006s 3.5L had more problems than later 3.7Ls as a general rule. I also wonder about your "mechanic" as there is a great deal of I5 head paranoia and I'd be willing to bet some of your issues did not need whatever he through at it.

I've had my 2007 since new, zero engine issues. Just recently my air bag SDM decided to die, what a PITA. Tear apart the interior, replace, take to dealer for programming. Figures, right when I am selling it All of them can have a radiator leak, been there, done that.

I am happy with my 2009 Alpha OffRoad so far, but it needed a bunch of TLC to get it right.

All of them require maintenance and with age, stuff breaks or wears out and needs work.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:47 PM

I appreciate the comments guys. Mainly i'm just a bigger guy 6'4 280 and miss my h3. My wife and I (recently married and we are thinking of kids in the next few years and its a great family car) You also can't beat how badass the vehicle is with a price comparison of a tahoe or yukon. I was lucky to get my radiator/ spark plugs and little fixes done by a friend and myself. I had two leaks with the cylinders and I was young at the time and didn't do my research. He rebuilt them? I trusted a private mechanic who was a refferal through a friend. Two rebuilds cost was about 5k plus He replaced the water pump/belt tensioner. I came to find out his intern did the whole job( I did trust him but not a new kid who looked younger then me) I took it back to the shop 3-5 times with random check engine light/ hard start ups. At the end of the process, he wanted 1200 more dollars for extra labor to fix these problems. I handed him 400 and asked for my keys. After that I would get a REALLY weird rattle and my h3 was BEYOND loud. I did all of this cash under the table. I wish I would of just been dealer destroyed because at least I could have proof of what he did. The Check engine light stayed on for literally a year and I had multiple mechanics diagnostic it. No one could figure out the rattling noise and im assuming it came from the belt he replaced. Anyway it's funny because I never had horrible issues with the vehicle running. It's one of the most reliable vehicles I've driven. My concern is if I needed to replace an engine I'd be out another 5-6k for a vehicle not worth that, when I could upgrade to an alpha or h3t. So I did a dumb practical thing and traded it in for 7600. 8 months later and I regret my choice lol. So im looking for an h3. (Most h3s on the market go from like 100k miles-200k ive seen) I'd want the v8. The h3t Is a dream but I think I would like more power to ideally tow a trailer or for camping one day. I do really appreciate you guys reaching out. I've been a whole 8 months without my h3 and I can't do this any longer!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:54 AM

I wouldn't consider an H3 as I must have a pickup bed. That said, the I5 is disappointing. I feel it is working way too hard to move my empty trailer.

We put up with an odd rattling for a couple years. Replacing the tensioner and idler pulleys finally corrected what I thought was a loose heat shield somewhere. Radiator, starter, fuel pump, spark plugs, belt and some oil changes have gotten the truck to 112K. It will throw a small vacuum leak code once in a while after a fill up (rarely does it when I gas the thing up).

I do see a lot of V8 Hummers for sale with well over 200K on them.

I want an H3T Alpha...