PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

New H3 owner

Old 04-30-2018, 08:01 PM
Default New H3 owner

Hey all! I just bought an 09 H3. I love this truck but it has a few lil things I'm trying to figure out. Just wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction.
First, the engine idle vibe. I've read a lot about this and so far everyone is saying its no big deal and that its just the way the 5 cylinders run. But I have tried new plugs, new coils, cleaned the MAF and throttle body and replaced the air filter. Its a bit better but it still vibrates enough at idle to make something in the dash buzz. I'd actually be ok with it if I could just stop that buzzing.
Second, when turning sharper corners most of the time I get a squeak from the front end I think. It sounds like the old merry go round on the play ground when I was a kid. No grinding or scraping and I can't feel it. Just a fairly loud squeak.
Last is a rhythmic knocking when I turn left. Its on the right side. I hear it most when I'm going in a circle like a round-about or whatever you call it. It rides nice. Has good power for a 5cylinder. Rolls nice down the hwy. Any ideas on this stuff would be appreciated.
She has 109k on her. I also replaced the front and rear diff oil. I used 75-90 royal purple. This stuff started before I did any maintenance. I'm going to replace the rear pads and probably the front pads this week. It wouldn't be the first time I;ve had pads that looked ok be causing some kind of wierd noise. Oh the car fax said that these rotors were turned. Nothing else on it leading me to believe it had any major issues

Old 04-30-2018, 09:47 PM

Glad ur happy.
Off top of my head ball joints, diff rack bushings and hubs.

Old 05-01-2018, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator

When you replaced the plugs I hope you stayed w/ ACDelco OEM plugs. The I5s are known to eat up aftermarket wonder plugs in short order.

Check to make sure the intake manifold bolts are tight, they vibrate loose and contribute to some rough idle situations. I5s do vibrate more than 4s or 6s, just the nature of the beast not being inherently balanced.

Old 05-01-2018, 06:16 PM

Check the front axle seals. I just replaced the seals, CV axles and hubs yesterday. It rolls much better now. And when you replace the axles, torque the axle nut TO SPEC with a torque wrench! If you just run them on with an impact ( which you will see even on YouTube), you will be cutting the life short on the hubs. My hubs were so corroded in the knuckles that I removed the knuckles and had a buddy press out the hubs; don't know where you live but if there is rust, be prepared for this. BTW, Congrats and welcome

Old 05-02-2018, 09:44 PM

I used AC Delco iridium plugs and coils. Its actually running smoother than ever today. I'll check manifold bolts this weekend. Im running some injector cleaner through it now. Just put it in yesterday, It might be making a difference. I'm in Ohio. The H3 spent most of its life in PA I think. I've owned SUV's most of my life and it just doesnt feel like hubs or axles.She rides nice. I'll be pulling the wheels off this weekend to check. Starting with the cheapest stuff first. I did buy a warranty and it did say hubs were covered. I don't feel any vibe or any resistance. Just hear the noise. I did notice that she might be leaning on the passenger side a bit. Could this just be shocks? I read somewhere that spraying some lithium grease around the suspension and getting under her and checking bolts can help too. Thanks for the replies!