PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H1 Front Differential Centering as a DIY project

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM
Smile H1 Front Differential Centering as a DIY project

Hi, I'm new to everything internet, so please forgive me if this is not how to try to get the info I need. I've been involved with and owned several H1s over the years and recently have gotten the desire to bring back to life my '94 2 Door H1. Something I know all H1 drivers have hated was the need to carry 3 half shafts as back ups and I'm ready to eliminate the left front weak link system and put the front differential back in the place it originally was. Has anyone any experience with this proceedure? I have seen the "kit" but my frugal nature won't let me spend $500 for a few pieces of strap and a handful of bolts. It doesn't seem like the actual moving it would be that hard after stripping out the radiator front steering and of course the half shafts. But I was just looking for anyone that can give me the pearls that keep me on track. Thanks Cort365

Old 12-05-2012, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

I have never done it. I know a number of people that have. Some say it worked well for them. Others have had issues. PM hummech here on the forum. He is a 20 year AMG certified H1 mechanic and he can tell you the ins and outs of doing this. He will recommend that you don't as will the AMG field reps.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:21 PM
Smile H1 Front Differential centering

Thanks- I've had numerous conversations with AMG field techs during my hummer racing adventures but at that time we were racing full stock class which didn't allow centering so we never did it but conversations were slanted against it more for warranty issues and a lack of appreciation that carrying three $pare half shafts created a problem not mention the space and weight. fortunately warranties are long not a problem and I just want to build myself the H1 that corrects the problems we encountered building our race trucks and go out and enjoy one of these amazing trucks. Thanks for your insight.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

You probably know a lot of the people I know.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:12 AM

Probably-I got involved with AMG in mid "93 and as you know it's not a big company. AMG sent endless field tech support to our race shop in Reno and to all the SCORE races and later on the Best In The Desert series. Perhaps the most rememberable tech was John Klotte and of course Bill Thompson, and Jim Armor and I don't know how you developed you H1 addiction (from your garage it appears you have a full blown addiction) but Rod Hall and and his sons Chad and Josh are close friends and had their own dealership in Reno and were involved with ride and drives intensively-alot of great people and I still feel that the H1 remains the ultimate off road vehicle and am excited to dust of some of the old hardware and back off road.