PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Grinding noise and vibration on drivers front wheel?

Old 04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
Thumbs down Grinding noise and vibration on drivers front wheel?

I have 06' H3 and have a grinding noise almost similar to the dust shield on other vehicles when it has been bent into rotor. Dust shield is fine. Stops after you slow down below 5 mph. Also a vibration that feels similar to a wheel bearing when steering wheel is turned in one direction while going down highway and stops soon as wheel is turned in opposite direction. Any help or resolution would be highly appreciated. I am just out of warranty so am concerned.

Old 04-03-2010, 08:43 PM

Raise the front end up off the ground, either with a lift, or jacks. Turn the tire of interest with your hands, and listen for any grinding as well as any noticeable resistance. If you experience either, $30ish at Advance auto will set you up with a new bearing.(assuming you have eliminated it being your brakes).

If the above inspection produces no results, grab ahold and wiggle near your ball joints. If these are worn/loose, the symptoms are almost identical to a bearing/brake problem. You will feel vibration in the gas/brake pedals(depending how far gone they are, you can also feel the vehicle vibrating on most any surface), hear an audible noise through various speeds, and even issues while turning.

*edit*- forgot to mention, you may also have "hotspots" or warpage on your rotor(s). If they still have good thickness, yank 'em off and haul them over to a parts store or local auto shop and have them turned for about $10-$15 each. If the rotors are old or haven't been machined in quite some time, then at the very least you will have done a bit of preventive maintenance.

Last edited by Bryan Burkhalter; 04-03-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:01 AM

That was the first thing that I did. There is no noise or resistence coming from the wheel assembly. There is no excessive play in the hub and the brakes are perfect. The noise disappears below 5 mph and obviously can't rotate the tire fast enough by hand to get it up to speed and don't feel ballsy enough to take all 4 tires in the air and have the car in drive and get it up to speed off the ground. Lol. Can hear the front drive shaft and gears turning though that is the same noise I heard from day 1. Been pricing hub assemblys on line and looks like they range from $104 to $165 U.S. Thanks for your opinion. I am always open to advice and if I haven't thought of something, I say the only stupid question is one not asked. Wonder if it might be the 4 wheel locker trying to engage and disengage and engage itself??????????? Ears/ eyes waiting that miracle answer. Lol

Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 AM

My 2004 GMC 4x4 made the same noise and it was the the front differential. A bearing went out in it. Mine would make the noise on left hand turns and the sound would go away after I was going straight.

Old 04-06-2010, 09:17 AM

That is a very good possability of it being the front diff. There is a grinding noise coming from the diff when I have it up in the air and rotate the wheel. Not a good sign. A good sign is that I MAY still be in warranty for another 1500 miles. Got an appointment at the dealership on Wednesday and I am praying that it is still in warranty. That's why I bought new. Tired of working on my daily driver to get back and forth to work. A project vehicle is another story ya know. That kind of work is for self gratification and fun.