PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
View Poll Results: Will hummer prices drop because gas prices are going up?
No people that buy hummers don't care
76.19%
Yup values will fall fast
14.29%
Not sure...
9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

With gas prices rising will hummers drop in value

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Default With gas prices rising will hummers drop in value

Do you think with gas prices rising the values of hummers will drop?

Last edited by Caraddict; 03-11-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:40 PM

Last time this happend prices dropped like a rock. I do think the H1's and H2's will hold the values but I think the H3's will take the biggest hit.

At this point H1's and H2's are getting more rare and take a special buyer. H3's are alot more plentyfull and much more main stream. Because the gas mileage they offer is not competitve with its class I am more than willing to be they will take the hit.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 PM

I sure hope they drop like a rock. I bought my H2 and My H1 when prices dropped like a rock before. I would love to find another steal.

I think this will be a great time for people to buy the H2's and H3's if prices hit 4 dollars or more as long as they can afford to drive them until the fuel prices drop. It won't last forever. H1 prices are pretty strong right now and I really think they will not fall this time around. You will always have those few fire sale deals but overall they should hold up well. Just my thoughts.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:04 PM

Don't think H1 prices are really ever effected. Such a unique vehicle and low production. The H2s around here for sale are not selling at all. I think the H3's will still sell because of the smaller size and more affordable.

Old 03-12-2011, 05:55 AM

When I originally purchased my new H3 in 2006, I saw gas prices of up to $5.00 and they dropped eventually just as they will again. H3's ty[ically don't get any less gas mileage than most midsize or even larger SUV's. Folks in need of an SUV will still buy and personally I think the value will remain or even go up a little due to the fact that they are no longer in production. There are many folks out there who still want them badly. Gas is nearly $4 here now and I am off today to try and work a deal on my H3 for a newer H3T Alpha that will get even less MPG than my H3!

Old 03-12-2011, 11:18 AM

As I have said on the forum before, I replaced a 7 mpg Jeep with my 15 mpg Hummer. Even though I knew prices were on the rise I am still making the payment with what I am saving on gas. I need something that is big enough to pull my boat or various trailers. Not too many things that can do that will be much better than the Hummer is. None will do it with the style of the Hummer. This is my first Hummer but will probably not be my last.

On a side note, my wife drives a Chevy HHR that is rated at 30 mpg. The way she drives it she averages about 17 so I am not doing too bad. When I see most "fuel economy" cars running around town they are screaming past me like they are on fire. Driving like that they are not getting much better than me. So I'll take the Hummer!

Old 03-13-2011, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

The soccer moms and golfing dads have been out of Hummers for a couple of years now. I don't think the values are as sensitive to gas prices as they were the first time. Most people I know with any model Hummer bought it well aware of the economy of operating the vehicles. Most of the people that had to sell have been flushed out of the market. There will still be the occasional deal but I think values will hold up much better this time around.
Even the H3 is a relatively low production number vehicle. The H2 even more so and only approximately 12,000 H1s were ever produced for the civilian market. With the attrition and exports over the last 19 years I would be surprised if there were more than about 6500 H1s on the roads. I seriously doubt H1 values will be impacted at all.

Old 03-13-2011, 02:19 PM

Gas prices have been soaring as of lately. The scary part about all of this is that there is not really as to why gas prices have gone up. Some people claim Libya is the country to blame, but they are just a scapegoat in this situation. Libya on exports one percent of the world’s petroleum and most of that goes to European countries. Everything is relative when talking about hummers and gas prices. When gas prices go up, more or less most hummers will decrease in value. However, when gas prices decline, hummers become more attractive to the public and therefore prices of a hummer will increase. I think most large vehicles will decrease in price. Changes in prices don’t occur overnight though. I would say after a few more months of gas prices like these then a noticeable difference can be seen in prices of trucks. A quick gas price spike that ends in a month or two is not enough to change a price of the car that much. Months and years of high gas will strongly affect one’s decision when purchasing a car. As a hummer owner, of course I would love to see gas prices drop, so that when I fill up it is not as depressing shelling out 70 or so bucks. As for the value of my hummer, I am not as concerned because I have no intention on selling it any time soon, regardless of the gas prices.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:02 PM
rsc

While most of the people who are buying a Hummer now are not buying one to be cool on the way to soccer practice, the majority of current Hummer buyers are looking for a great 4x4 and not a bandwagon to jump on. The H3 prices have been only going up lately but I feel the high gas prices will put a ceiling on the price climb. I have been watching H2 prices falling to below H3 prices lately for the 03 and 04 models. The H1's are probably not going to fall as the folks that have one already know about the mileage issue and really wanted them for other reasons in the first place. Me? I hope the gas prices keep climbing so I can get a nice H2 to match my 07 H3 Adventure.