PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Fuel System/Injector Cleaner - Let's discuss

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator
Default Fuel System/Injector Cleaner - Let's discuss

I'd like to know what people's feedback is about this. I've used different ones in the past, with the most recent this weekend being Lucas Oil's injector cleaner and lubricant.

http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...2&loc=show

I used the little bottle. It's supposed to lubricate your piston rings as well as clean your injectors. I haven't seen any others that have a lubricant in it, but haven't looked too much. I keep seeing commercials for it while watching the NHRA races so I figured I'd try it out.

My question is do these products really do anything? Is there scientific proof out there that these products really do loose and burn away debris and dirt off of the injectors, or is it all just theories and concoctions that are thrown out there and assumed they work?

I'd like input from people that know more about engines then I. I've been using these products for years, usually once every 3 months, butI may switch to once a month since learning the H3 doesn't have a fuel filter.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel System/Injector Cleaner - Let's discuss

This went nowhere fast [&o]

Old 03-31-2008, 05:31 PM

That i s a coincidence. Yesterday I picked up the Lucas fuel treatment as well. Partsource has it on sale now for 2 for $9. I plan on trying it in the next couple of days when I fill up. The guy at the parts store said he would recommend using it about every 5 tankfulls. I thought it was a better way to go instead of just an injector cleaner. On the bottle it says it will improve fuel economy as well. We,ll wait and see.

Old 03-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

most of those cleaners do little or nothing.... except foul your plugs.... nothing cleans them like removing them and using a piece of equipment to do it...

Old 03-31-2008, 07:38 PM

I've been using Lucasfuel injector and I noticed that the engine runs better

Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 PM

I've always been told that it isn't anything more than diluted Kerosene. Don't know how factual that is. The only way that it would help you MPG is if your injectors are really bad then it cleans them thus giving you better MPG (not really, just putting it back where you started at new)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:17 PM

I can't say that I'm getting better MPG or KPL, it just runs better

Old 04-03-2008, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Well, I noticed it runs smoother as well, but just a bit. It's probably more-so that piston ring lubricant they add. Did you guys notice how thick it was compared to normal fuel cleaner? I was a little weary of putting it in my tank when I saw how thick it was, but considering how big the fuel lines are, I didn't worry about it too much considering that's probably just oil anyway.

It does seem smoother though as I said. I'll probably be using it from now on. It can't hurt, right? I just wonder how long the lubrication last. I wouldn't imagine it lasts too long.

I think doing it every 5 tankfulls is a bit overkill though, espeically if you use brand-name gas.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:52 PM

First of all, there is no way it can improve the fuel enconomy by cleaning the injectors alone. The O2 sensor monitors the air/fuel exhaust gases and the ECM auto adjusts the fuel to the proper level despite how dirty they are. It can however, improve the efficiency of the engine by cleaning the combustion chamber and allowing air/gas better flow efficiency - this will aid in better ecomomy.

Might do some research on Lucas as there are lots of reports that there stuff is junk and snake oil. IE: their oil additives foam up and cause harm and tests are documented on the web to prove it. Stick to a reputable company like Redline for quality products that do what they advertise.

Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 AM
Super Moderator

No kidding. I'll look the info up on the web. Do you have any direct links to these reports handy? I'd like to see them.

Quick Reply: Fuel System/Injector Cleaner - Let's discuss