front differential top up - Hummer Forums - Enthusiast Forum for Hummer Owners

General Hummer Talk Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 10-13-2007, 06:29 PM

Default front differential top up

Hey guys. I was checking the differential fluid level today and I know the owners manual says the level should be half inch below the bottom of the fill plug when cold. If I put my baby finger in there, I cannot put it in far enough to get to the level. Should I just fill till fluid starts to come out the hole that way I will know it is full? Does it matter what fluid I use just for a top up as long as it is 75-90 synthetic? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:33 AM

Default RE: front differential top up

While tonight I topped up the front diff. with castrol syntec 75-90. Would anyone have a manual that would show the torque for the fill plug on the diff? For now I torqued it at 25ft/lbs. Thanks
Old 10-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Super Moderator

Just snug the plug up.... tight is tight... it really doesn't need to be torqued.

I fill mine until it comes out the hole.... about 2 quarts for the back.... and about 1 3/4 for the front. (from empty)

One small piece of advice.... always make sure you can get the fill plug out before you remove the drain plug.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:34 PM

This time I just topped it up. I don,t know when it was looked at last but it took almost half bottle. I will keep an eye on it now. i have only owned this H2 for about 2 months .I love it.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:56 PM

every diff is about the same,fill it up till it comes out the hole,then just give the wrench a good grunt,like muddy said,tight is tight,theres no load on this so torque shouldnt really applyas long as its tight