PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Flat tire

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Default Flat tire

So, today I have a flat. It seems the dealer took my key (and kept it) to get the spare off last time I had them fix a flat. So I can't get the spare off. OK.

Next, I jack the thing up and remove the nuts and the tire won't release from the hub.

Why? I can't see where there is a lock on any of the bolts that held the lug nuts.

Anybody know?

Old 04-11-2010, 09:58 AM

Nobody knows anything about changing their tires on this forum?

Come on.

Old 04-11-2010, 02:14 PM

You just need to get a rubber mallet and tap the tire from the back side. Sometimes you get corrosion with the wheel and hub. Give that a try i would think that would do it. Sucks the dealer kept your key!

Old 04-11-2010, 04:10 PM

Rubber mallet and tap...Just kick it with the heal of your foot..smack it with something heavy, it should break loose

Old 04-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Red face

Tried everything to get the tire off. I finally used penetrating oil to break it loose. The only tire that has a lock is the spare. My Hummer H3 has 42000 mile and I could not believe the rust on the hub that has ate into the my chrome rim from behind. It isn't visible from the front yet but will be in a short time. If all my rims are like this, that sucks big time. I tried a rust remover but it only worked about half way. I am going to take off every rim and see if this is happening. I baby my Hummer keeping the body and rims in wax. Looks like that has been a waste for the rims.

Oh, and the key isn't in the package marked key lock in the spare kit. It is in one of the compartments of the jack. If I had used the tools the Hummer came with; I probably would have found it.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:04 AM

I do not live in a big city where crime is a problem so the first thing I do on any new car is get rid of the locking lug nuts, even on the Corvette. I have had them fail once when they fractured (stripped) and it was very difficult to get it off the wheel. That is not something I would want to happen in the back country.
I believe capillary action draws water inbetween the wheel and hub where it can not dry out plus sometimes two dissimilar (steel and aluminum) metals can cause corrossive action. It is not a good idea to put grease or oil on the hub face or on the lug studs. Grease on the studs will not give you an accurate torque value- hope you are torquing it to 100 ft/lbs?

Last edited by skeeet; 04-13-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:31 AM

I don't have the proper tool to torque it. I am just barely a backyard mech. I just tighten it till it won't. Does that work?

Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Since using the penetrating oil, my alert has come on telling me to service the tire pressure unit.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Banned
Default torque tools are cheap

too much can damage wheels AND brake rotors.

dont let the morons at the tire shop use impact, give them your torque wrench,,i do always.

tom

Old 04-20-2010, 01:54 AM

I don't this flat tire....So Tell me any one about this.......

Quick Reply: Flat tire