Hummer H2 SUT For some who need the usefulness of a truck, but do not want to compromise the Hummer look, the H2 SUT does just that.

cold air intake for 06 H2 SUT

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:09 PM
Default cold air intake for 06 H2 SUT

Is it worthwhile installing a Cold Air Intake on my 06 H2 SUT ? All the responses to this previously asked question date back to 2012 and 2009 . Any current info regarding this question as technology has changed and improved ? Any recommendations on quality brands for my 6.0 engine, and the best place to buy it ?

Old 01-01-2018, 09:54 AM

Personally I dont think the full cold air intakes are worth it. The stock airbox is already very well designed with a very large air filter and pulls all air from inside the passenger side fender. Most all of the aftermarket ones just have a big cone air filter and pulls the much hotter air from under the hood. I think there are a couple that have a lid and do pull the air from the same hole in the fender though like the Volant. About the only difference in that case would be the appearance and possibly a slightly better flowing air filter although you can always just get a higher flowing stock size air filter which would be much less $$$.

If for example you look at the K&N setup, there is no top to the new "airbox" if you want to even call it an airbox. Its just a somewhat ill fitting metal panel with a rubber seal on the top edge. There are some gaps along the edges where it can draw hot underhood air in and if that rubber seal on the top edge is not 100% touching the hood it will of course also pull even more of the hotter underhood air in.

About the only thing that really does anything are just the replacement air tube that goes between the filter box and the intake. Even those realistically only add probably at most 2 or 3 horsepower but they are a lot cleaner looking and since they do not have all baffles they will make things sound a bit louder and will of course have a smoother airflow.

I got the Airaid intake tube for mine and I'm happy with it... Airdoc is also a popular option for that. The airbox from Volant is also very well done and pulls air from the same hole that the stock airbox does. It does looks nice but I doubt that it provides any more benefit than just replacing the stock air filter with a high flow aftermarket filter like from Airaid, K&N, AFe, or even any of the better quality paper filters.

If the stock airbox were poorly designed or restrictive it would be a different story.

In the end the best bang for your buck will be a replacement tube and a good quality higher flow aftermarket filter for the stock air box. The two combined will new you a couple of HP and maybe a quarter to one mpg increase in fuel economy.

Another many are not aware of..... The stock AC Delco filter is a Donaldson Powercore filter which is about the best air filter money can buy as far as making sure you are keeping dust and other crap out of your engine... Even Volant recommends the Powercore filters.

Last edited by MixManSC; 01-01-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-01-2018, 11:14 AM

^ exactly

The air tube is the main issue as it acts as a resonator as well so doing away with that allows the air to flow easier.

I went with Volant because I was tired of fighting with the stock air box lid. The Volant also allows me to run a huge filter along with a pre-filter so nothing gets in my intake. I do a lot of weekend shooting in very fine silt/sand which would quickly clog other filters. With my setup I don't worry about it.

Old 01-18-2018, 06:10 AM
Former Sponsor

Yes, technologies definitely changed and there are few new types of filters available on the market like SynthaFlow or SynthaMax air filters by AIRAID and PRO5 by Volant. These products provide a high level of filtration along with the increased speed of the air flow. You can find these air intake systems here: https://www.carid.com/2006-hummer-h2-air-intakes/

We did our own research on the improvements that you can get from an air intake and created a special tech article dedicated to this topic:
My Car is Brand New | Why Should I Change My Air Intake System?

Old 03-02-2018, 11:20 PM

I was unable to find a Volant for my 06 Base. I did buy a K&N. MixMan is right in that it does not have a complete seal. I mean I could make my own and then choose a filter. Meanwhile it did eliminate some of the creative manifold excess above the plugs. I used some heater-AC tape to seal the filter to the box. I think that it helps. I say that because I also added a Jet throttle body spacer and changed to the iridium plugs at the same time. Between all of that I got a nice boost in horsepower and gas mileage. Also I like the look of the K&N plus the lifetime filter.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:34 AM
Cuz

When u added the jet throttle body spacer how close did that put your air pipe to the fan

Old 03-08-2018, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 2hummers
I was unable to find a Volant for my 06 Base. I did buy a K&N. MixMan is right in that it does not have a complete seal. I mean I could make my own and then choose a filter. Meanwhile it did eliminate some of the creative manifold excess above the plugs. I used some heater-AC tape to seal the filter to the box. I think that it helps. I say that because I also added a Jet throttle body spacer and changed to the iridium plugs at the same time. Between all of that I got a nice boost in horsepower and gas mileage. Also I like the look of the K&N plus the lifetime filter.
TB spacers are completely useless, they do NOTHING, except reduce the amount of cabbage from your wallet. The intended purpose of a TB spacer is to be a paper weight. Here at this forum, one of our sponsors from years back actually emailed a TB maker and got a direct response... read it for yourself here:
https://www.hummerforums.com/forum/h...yth-over-5512/

If a dyno cannot measure it, it ain't there.

BTW, the dyno can measure an improvement from a performance intake system. By itself, an intake is not a massive boost, and results in a small measurable increase in MPG. When used as a part of an overall performance package, (PCM Tune, CAT Back Exhaust etc.) there can be significant gains.

Anybody think the H2 OEM intake resonator is the most efficient way to deliver air to the TB?

Here is the 2008:

2003 - 07:

Old 09-30-2021, 03:32 PM

Airaid intake tube? Didn't realize that could be exchanged when using the stock airbox. My local auto parts not aware of the part? Please advise.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:40 PM
Default Reply to OCFDfyrfytr, Cold air intake box

The original airbox is eliminated using the solution I used. The kit comes with 2 sides which mount on the front, passenger side and form a triangular box. I used some metal tape to seal it a bit extra. However I expect that there is some leakage.