PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Aftermarket Warranty

Old 03-18-2010, 10:56 AM
Default Aftermarket Warranty

Hi all,

I am debating purchasing an aftermarket warranty for my 2005 SUT (67k miles), has anyone had any experience good or bad with "non-dealer" aftermarket warranties (even though most dealer warranties are after market anyhow).

I contacted one company that is a broker for warranties and inquires about off-roading (since that is intended use of these vehicles) and the rep said that off-road use/repairs would be included should anything happen, however the policy (how I interpret it) says they wont.

Bottom line: is it worth the purchase just for normal mechanical repairs that might happen regardless of off-roading?

Thanks,

Chris

Old 03-30-2010, 03:11 PM

A few years ago we bought our Chrysler T&C minivan from a Nissan dealer, and ended up with Nissan Motor Company extended warranty. We were able to use that for any work the van needed and took it to the Chrysler dealer for all work. We paid the deductible and had no issues at all, it was a win-win for us.
As for using the vehicle off road, well a couple things there. They're going to have to prove negligience on your part for what ever broke. I run alot of dirt roads around this area, plus what about people who live in the sticks? What's the definition of "off road" vs. what you broke?
The other thing is your servicing dealership--mine in Salt Lake will stand behind any warranty issues I have aside from what the warranty issuer would want to argue. At that point, it's all about customer service and gaining loyal customers. This dealer even backed us this summer on a CV joint boot that had come off while I was wheeling with the Canucks in Calgary. HUMMER Canada would not touch it because the vehicles ride height had been altered (T-bar crank). I worked on the phone with my dealer in Salt Lake, they asked me to pay the bill and then they would submit a claim to HUMMER America for the repair and rental. Two weeks later I had a check in my hand. Customer service and an outstanding dealer will take you a long way.

Old 03-30-2010, 05:00 PM

I looked at a warranty and for over $2000 you can replace a lot of parts. The H2's seem and from what i hear pretty darn reliable vehicles. Unless you know you are going to thrash it out and be breaking parts every month. Might want to research on here and see what kinds of problems people have.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 PM

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

I purchased the warranty a little over a week ago. I did do a search on the site to see the issues that might come up. Its 2005 SUT Adventure - 65k on the odo and I did quite a bit of reading about failed airbags. With being in Arizona, in case the AC goes out, or the engine/tranny overheats I figured it was a good idea.

So the warranty was slightly over 2k and covers the truck for 48 months or 50k miles, compared to the dealers asking price of over 6k for the same thing. It covers everything the factory would cover with a Hummer warranty so basically if I take it in and they cover it its all good, plus its in the shops best interest to fix the truck since it brings in money as mentioned by twinmill.

The broker was extremely knowledgeable about the warranty, I had a list of questions about the policy after reading it and I also turned it over to my wife who is an attorney to look it over and bring out more questions. The broker answered them all without hesitation and when we got to the "definition of off road" instead of fluffing an answer he conferenced called the insurance company with me on the line to get the information/questions answered.

So far so good and hopefully I'll never need use it, but I feel better having something on the vehicle.

-Chris

Old 04-01-2010, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

What company did you buy it from?

Old 04-02-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by 3hummers
What company did you buy it from?
AA Auto Protection. I can PM you the brokers name and number if you need it.

-Chris

Old 04-03-2010, 11:50 AM

Glad you found a good policy that will cover what you need, this should do you well by the soulds of it.
Since we're on the extended warranty topic, I'll throw in what I learned about what's called the GMPP, or GM Protection Plan. It's available two ways.
The first is if you buy your HUMMER and it's out of factory warranty, you can purchase the GMPP at the same time you buy your HUMMER and it will cover whatever miles/time you choose to buy based on how many miles you think you'll drive each year, and how many years you think you want the coverage.
The other part of the plan is if your truck is still in factory warranty and you want to extend that out, you can purchase the plan anytime before the factory warranty goes out. The miles and time thing is similar to above, base your coverage on how many miles you think you're going to drive each year and how ever many years you want.
Just google GMPP and it will bring up several dealership site that offer this. I found one site that lets you enter your (or an arbitrary) vehicle year and miles and it will email you the available plans based on miles/time and you can just pick the plan you feel best for you.
This plan has, I think, 3 different levels of protection, with the highest covering almost every part on your truck, just not interior items like the bumper to bumper does, for whatever deductible you set up.
Since I'm still in factory warranty now, I'll most likely go with this set-up as I get closer to going out of warranty. Price wise it's very similar to what Show Time was able to get.
I'm definately not about throwing any more money at Gov't Motors, but since our dealership is as good as it is, I'm sure the GMPP will help me with warranty issues as I tend to travel alot.