PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 Hummer h3..popping noise under it...??? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 09:44 PM
Default 06 Hummer h3..popping noise under it...??? HELP

I have a 2006 hummer h3, just got the hummer, new to the hummer and GM, always been a ford guy....
But the hummer has 80,000 miles on it, super clean and a 1 owner...

HERES THE PROBLEM.....(might not be nothing)

While driving the hummer if you let off the gas then get back on it ..it makes like a popping noise such as a universal joint going bad. and somtimes when it shifts out of first it pops somtimes it dont. thats why i think its a universal joint....

if anyone has any ideals let me know.......Thanks !!!

I think i posted this wrong earlier ..... thanks though for any help

Old 10-02-2009, 01:08 PM

No worries in my opinion...

TSB #99-04-20-002E: Information on Driveline Clunk...

__________________________________________________ ____________________

#99-04-20-002E: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Between PARK and DRIVE, PARK and REVERSE or DRIVE and REVERSE - (Jun 6, 2008)

Subject: Information on Driveline Clunk Noise When Shifting Between PARK and DRIVE, PARK and REVERSE or DRIVE and REVERSE

Models: 2009 and Prior GM Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks (including Saturn)

2009 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

2009 and Prior Saab 9-7X

-------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002D (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Important: The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with the following previous bulletins:

• Info - Discontinue Flushing and Replacing Transfer Case Fluid Due to Bump/Clunk Concern (Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004A or newer).

• Clunk, Bump or Squawk when Vehicle Comes to Complete Stop or Accelerating from Complete Stop (Replace Rear Drive Shaft Nickel-Plated Slip Yoke) (Corporate Bulletin Number 01-04-17-004B or newer).

Some owners of vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse. Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.

Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.

The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.

For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.

In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:

• Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components.

Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.

• While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect durability or performance.

• For additional diagnostic information, refer to the appropriate Service Information.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2008 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved

Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Sounds like the same thing mine does. Just bought an 07 3 weeks ago. Have no idea what it is, though. Sorry I'm no help, just letting you know your not alone on that one.... LOL

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

My 2006 H1 Alpha does the same thing. The bulletin above basically covers it.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM

I have had the same issues going on a couple months on my 06 h3 with 52k miles. I just it took into the shop today thinking I needed a couple of new u-joints installed and actually all I needed was a new drive line bracket and new bearing. 450 dollars later I have a silent Hummer again. Hope this helps you out.
Thanks.

Old 12-04-2009, 08:18 PM
Default 06 Hummer h3 popping noise under it HELP

I have a 1998 Toyota Tacoma V6 that has started to make a noise that sounds like the cam bearing or some other type of top end component. The truck has 156,000 miles. Has anyone heard of this type of noise?

Old 12-05-2009, 01:47 AM

Mine did this to and I have about 48,000 miles, I checked the transmission fluid after driving it about an hour and guess what, I was down almost 3/4 of a quart. After that no more clunkity clunk.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 PM
Default 06 Hummer h3 popping noise under it HELP

Ive heard that noise, Ive got a buddy that had a 97 Tacoma and his made the same noise, he sold the truck for 800 dollars because he thought it was gonna blow up, the guy who bought it paid like 150 for a head and the truck drives like a brand new one.