PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

Drivetrain Issue - Jumps out of Gear

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 04:58 AM
Default Drivetrain Issue - Jumps out of Gear

I have a similar situation. I was driving on the highway and all sudden it seems like it jumped out of gear and wouldn't go. I switched into 4hi lock and got it home. Took to dealer next day, they thought it was transfer case. I replaced it but still won't drive in AWD mode. Only 4 hi lock and low lock. Can someone please explain this, so I don't buy any more expensive parts I don't need.

Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to HF.

I moved this for you: 1) the Drivetrain Area says:
"This section is an archive of older posts, please post new questions in the specific model section. Thank you!"

2) NEVER a good idea to dig up old azzed threads, start a new one, H3 questions go in the H3 section.

We could use more info, like how many miles, what other prior work was done that might relate, and which model do you have (Base, Adventure, Lux, Off road-Luz).

Old 01-25-2018, 01:09 PM

The only reasons an H3 won't move in 4HI but will move in 4HI-Lock and 4LO lock is something wrong with your Tcase(you said they replaced it), Prop Shaft (front Drive Shaft) broken, Front Diff broken, either half shaft broken. Check to see if your 1/2 shafts are still fully engaged in the front diff (both sides). Listen carefully for grinding noises in the front diff too.

In 4HI the T case will split the power 40/60 front to rear. If there isn't any load in the front the tcase will then send 100% to the front.