PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean H3 Black Hood panel

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 PM
Default Clean H3 Black Hood panel

I was waxing my H3 today and got a little wax residue on the black hood panel insert .Whats good to use to remove the residue,and to give the hood panel insert a fresh look.It has a few dull spots on it from bird sh_t,ect,ect....

Last edited by NIK1; 05-22-2009 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:02 AM

I know one product not to use and that is Armorall.
I use Armorall diluted with water for some applications, mostly on tires, but that is about it.
I used a product called " Something Else" that does not turn the black areas gray. Go to a detail shop, or a parts store that sells to auto detailing people and ask what they suggest.
I was told your regular peanut butter will take wax off those areas you do not want that wax residue to remain. Then of course you will need a product to bring back the plastic black.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:58 PM

Thanks for the info.Last night I put a light coat of turtle wax,black color wax.It cleaned up the white wax residue from the other wax I used,and also shined up the black hood panel very nicely.

Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM

About a month ago, I removed mine and cleaned and waxed underneath the cover as it was filthy. The black cover itself I washed and used a product called Ragtopp vinyl cleaner which I have for my wife's Miata's convertible top. Bottle said it was good for plastic too. Looked great, and didn't turn it gray. Even beaded water for a few weeks like wax does.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 PM

I never thought to take the black plastic piece off to clean underneath. I bet in a few years we may see some rust under there.

Plus one on the Miata, only mine has a Tan top.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Mother's "Back to Black" everytime! I use it on all of the exterior plastic on my H2. It's easy to apply and lasts around a month, sometimes longer depending on the climate where you live. Don't forget to go back over it with a dry cloth after you let it soak in to get the excess off. You can pick it up at WalMart or any auto parts store. It's in a red bottle and is around $5. NEVER USE ARMOR ALL!!! It will fade your plastic and leave a white residue. Hope this helps.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:44 AM
Post New product for restoring plastic

Check out this new product for restoring the trim on your Hummer....

http://www.wipenew.com

Old 06-15-2012, 08:55 AM

Mothers is the best

Old 06-26-2012, 01:13 PM

Ice by turtle wax

Old 06-27-2012, 06:22 AM

Mothers " Back to Black" is really good on the exterior trim, and Turtle Wax "Ice" is good for the Interior...

Quick Reply: Clean H3 Black Hood panel