PRIVATE For Sale / Trade Classifieds Sell/Trade your stuff for free! NO COMMERCIAL POSTS!

3M Do-it-yourself Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 3M Do-it-yourself Undercoating

I was just razzin, and that was funny. Bonus! I was browsing the posts and saw you are a real enthusiast of personalizing your Hummer. Not afraid to try different stuff. Man I could not figure out what it was that you sprayed on the window in that other post? I am a car detail freak, I've probably tried it all and some of that stuff can save time and make you rig really stand out. Muscle cars are my passion, the H3 is really my war pony, gets me everywhere I got to be, forget about the weather. I have about 5,500 miles on the 07 and I am really having fun..........you can customize these things with about a zillion parts/accys, and they always look cool. So keep up the good work and I hope to do some 4 wheeling with you (silver lake!!) someday. THIS IS AN AWESOME FORUM. Tons of great info. J

Old 07-18-2007, 03:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Dennis

ORIGINAL: HummBob

DAMN YOU HYPHEN.........
DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!![sm=badbadbad.gif]
Charleton Heston..Planet of the Apes....whoops, wrong thread...

Old 07-18-2007, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

I love thinking of new ways to do things that other people haven't done or tried. I'm not one for spending $2000 on add-ons. I have nothing against it, but it all started when I bought my '95 Camaro V6 5-speed about 5 or so years ago. My friend had just bought a brand-spankin-new SS and was always modding that thing, so he got me into that, and then I just blew up into mods. I had my little V6 (was not even an RS!) keeping up with stock Z28s on the street, and was pretty damn proud of myself. After that, I started learning all about CIA kits and MAFs and how everything works in an engine where as before I knew nothing about engines and drivetrains but everything about everything else on a car. When I had my Scion xB, I was the only guy that had a laptop in the car, and I custom-made a laptop platform similiar to the ones the patrol cars use, but had it tied in real-time to a GPS reciever AND internet access, so I usually was the main attractions at the car shows in the Scion groups. When I got the H3, I was very dissappointed that there really was no mods, but that's because I bought one only a few months after they came out. Once we started building a house and I started travelling alot for work, I had NO time to do anything, so this is something I've wanted to do for a good year minimum, and something I like to do. I think outside the box. I'm not one to spend $2k on a all-in-one head unit. I like having everything on it's own platform. For example, here's a pic of my dash right now:

I don't have the monitor mounted on the dash anymore, but the radar detector is hard-wired into the Mirror, so it comes on automatically with the ignition and has a full 360 degree field (well, minus the pillars). The GPS has an external antenna mounted on the roof that at any given time recieved a minimum of 8 to 10 satellites at once, so I also use that as my speedometer since it updates about 2 to 3 times per second. I have a Belkin FM Modulator for my Mp3 player that is also hard-wired into the dashboard, which actually is awsome compared to the crap ones of old. The signal is nearly flawless all the time. I HAD the light bar wired into the horn with a diode and relay so whenever you honk the horn, the light bar comes on, but I just took that off and am figuring out another way to mount the lights (again, something different). I turned away from the chrome look because everybody and their mother is doing it, and I don't want itto look like a show car, I want it to look like an off-road vehicle. This is again why I'm going to do the third row seats. Members of my wifes family are short and will actually fit on those, so I am going to get them with the rear step access. I try different things for a bit, see how they work, get feedback from people on here, and then decide if it's good or bad, and if it's bad, how can I make it better. To most people, they might be small tiny things I make a big deal of, but I put alot of thought into functionality. If I'm not going to use it, I'm not going to have it. I use my GPS, radar detector and FM modulator ALL the time. I used the light bar too on and off (not much though), etc. I'm not going to buy a $2000 CarPC so that it takes me ten times longer to play Mp3s then if I turn on my MP3 player and let start playing on it's own. I LOVE the gadgets and toys, but I just like knowing that if one thing breaks, I fix that ONE thing, and not the entire thing.

So, with ALL this being said, here is what I used (and don't laugh):

[URL=http://www.duplicolor.com/products/effex.html]http://www.duplicolor.com/products/effex.

Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Bro, I could tell you where like taco bell.....thinking outside the bun!! So that's what that stuff was. Yep, you are not afraid to try anything. That is why I was razzzin ya. Lots of people will think about, look into it, but NEVER do it. Ok, I got the ipod w/ fm modulator, you lost me with the rest. I am a nuts and bolts guy, garage full of tools, but like not too into gadgets. Sweet work on th H3. I enjoy dirt biking with the kids and fabbed a H3 trailer hitch carrier for the mini bikes. yeah yeah......I'll get going with the pics. I'm also looking at fabbin up a ram air/cold air intakeset up....long way off....but this winter I'll get to it.This weekend I'm making my front flag mount (in between the air show and nephew's birthday party)for silver lake. I'll post it when done. I received no response to my silver lake post on ideas, so I will go with mine. Got to get some of the street Hummers in the dirt. Try the dupli-color professional sound eliminator undercoat. Used to spray the frame rails every spring on the old Jimmy and it looked good til next winter of road crap.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Like you said Doc...he's a pioneer that for sure..

Mikey...I see you have taken down the 50" plasma from your dash...